Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Assistant: How can I help? My dog, Sasha we took her the

Hi there
Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My dog, Sasha we took her the vets on Wednesday the vet gave her ultrasound relayed she has Pyometra. She is 12 so vet related she may probably pass away if she has surgery we have researched online and been giving her home remedies Manuka honey mixed with Turmeric and high strength vit c. She is absolutely fine in herself walking eating normal going the toilet normal in fact everything seems normal but we are so worried.
Assistant: I'm sorry that Sasha is feeling poorly. What seems to be the problem with Sasha?
Customer: It's open Pyometra
Assistant: Where does Sasha seem to hurt?
Customer: Nowhere she is absolutely fine doesn't seem in pain just occasional drops coming from her underneath they were pinky white no grey white but she seems fine
Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sasha?
Customer: No she is absolutely fine in herself she does have a few lumps and bumps but had them for ages and our vet said if they aren't bothering her not to worry
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear Sasha has been diagnosed with a uterus infection.
As she is so well, it may be that she has a mild infection. I presume it is an 'open' infection whereby the pus etc is draining from the vulva rather than staying inside.
Is she on antibiotics? If not, these need to be started immediately. The natural remedies you mention may have some potential benefit but there are no studies proving that they do anything to help a pyometra.
I'm surprised your vet has not offered surgery as this is the best treatment by far for a pyometra and would afford her the best prognosis. Age should not be a reason we forego a surgery. You say she is clinically very well. If she is stable, well hydrated etc. I would strongly suggest you seek a second opinion as I believe the surgery is likely in her best interest. We spay dogs of her age all the time with pyometra. In fact, the older a dog the more likely they are to develop the infection so it is often senior patients that have the procedure.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry I should said the vet said mammary glands are swollen have been like that a while and after her yearly check a few weeks ago our vet relayed if they aren't bothering her then she is ok with them. She did say if she had surgery it would be over £1000 something we unfortunately cannot afford. But with the other conditions that although aren't affecting her now, may cause internal bleeding and she may die with the surgery so she advised euthenasia something we can't even think about cause to look at Sasha she is fine still doing everything normal. Do you think a course of antibiotics could do anything to help
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry I can't afford the extra for the call sorry
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That was Sasha at the park yesterday the vet said she would be getting more lethargic and going down hill she seems fine we just can't let her go but we are worried as we can't afford the surgery would strong antibiotics help ?
Oh that is expensive for the surgery. Do call other local vets for an estimate as they may well be able to offer a cheaper surgery. For example, a low cost clinic I sometimes work at in West London will routinely do this surgery in a large, older dog for closer to £500.
Some clinics can provide payment plans whereby you pay e.g. £100 a month.
It may also be worth calling local charities such as the RSPCA or PDSA as they may be able to help.
I agree, if she is well and acting as normal I wouldnt consider euthanasia at this point. However, if she does not have the surgery you may find that she begins to get very unwell soon and you are sadly left with no choice.
As pyometra is a bacterial infection she should be started on antibiotics ASAP. There is also the possibility of giving certain medicines called Prostaglandins or Progesterone Antagonists. These are used in the medical (rather than surgical) treatment of pyometra and have the potential to resolve the issue without undergoing a surgery. If we are sure we are not doing a surgery, i would advise you ask your vet for the antibiotics and one of these medicines.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you I'll do that thanks so much for the advice X have a lovely day
Oh she is gorgeous! And it looks like she is enjoying the sunshine :)
Please ignore any phone call requests- these are made automatically by the website and are out of my control. I am happy to continue talking via chat.
You have a lovely day too and feel free to ask any further questions you may have and to keep me updated on Sasha's progress.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ahh thanks I know everyone just Loves her thank you . I will let you know
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Linda, just to let you know Sasha had her hysterectomy op today and it was successful. Thank you for the advice and helping me to decide what to do. I really was in turmoil over it. Sasha is home and resting. Getting lots of Love and attention. Thanks again, Jo xx
How wonderful! I'm so glad to hear that and wishing her a speedy and comfortable recovery
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you Love Sasha