Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is sleeping in her litter box and I think she can’t

Customer Question

My cat is sleeping in her litter box and I think she can’t wee she is 14 years old
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: tinker
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tinker?
Customer: I found she had an abscess on her tail it has since burst
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear Tinker has this issue.
Has she ever had urinary problems in the past?
Is she straining to go?
When did she last do a pee?
Has she been lethargic or off her food?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No she has not had this problem before and it started Friday because her litter box was clean
Thank you for this. If you think she has not passed urine since Friday then this is a true emergency. Cats need to pass urine much more often then this and if they dont the risk is that they may rupture their bladder or develop an acute kidney failure.
At her age, she may have an issue such as a urinary infection, cystitis, stones or a growth that are preventing her from passing urine.
She is likely uncomfortable and perhaps a bit distressed.
She should be brought to an out of hours vet now. They can feel her bladder through her abdomen to determine if there is a blockage. They may also take a urine sample to analyse and may wish to scan the bladder with an ultrasound.
Depending on the outcomes they will be able to start her therapy (whether it be antibiotics, anti-inflammatories or a procedure to unblock her).
I wouldnt delay seeking treatment as it is possible for cats to pass away from a blocked bladder.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
Unfortunately I am unable to make a phone call at this time. Apologies as I know the website offers this automatically, this is out of my control. You wont be charged and I am happy to continue the conversation via typing.

Hi there, just checking in on Tinker; how is she getting on?

Hello, this is just Dr Linda checking in on Tinker for the final time as this question remains open and unrated. If you were satisfied with the response, please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating, we can continue the conversation. Many thanks!