Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years
45762142

She is a rescue, we have had her three months now. She is

She is a rescue, we have had her three months now. She is nervous, but coming round to us and has been very good until about 2weeks ago. She doesn't poop in her box anynore, always on the same bit on the floor of the kitchen (not far from her box!) And now at night she pees on the sofa, but during the day pees in her box, even when we aren't there. It's very confusing and we have to take turns to sleep on the sofa to stop her from being tempted. Help!
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: She is a 5 year old femal cat
Assistant: The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Bluebell
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bluebell?
Customer: We have tried to change her litter box, incase she didn't like her old one. We got a hooded one, but would only sometimes use it. Then we removed the hood and put the under tray to the area she poops on the kitchen floor which helped with the pooping until last night when she decided to poo out of the box on the floor again (next to the box, but not close enough that she just missed)

Hi there, this is Dr. Sara. Sorry this is happening, it is very frustrating. How long have you had her? Was she always in indoor kitty or has she spent time outside before living with you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We have had her three months. And she was very good at using her tray from day one. The rescue centre had not much details on her as they had her brought to them as a stray, but she has definitely had kittens in the past, and was neutered by the centre. So they assume she was used for breeding before and because she is a British Shorthair, they also assume she was always an indoor cat

Ok, here is where I would start. I would add at least 1 more box, and maybe 2. No hoods, unscented or little scent clumping litter. There are many cats who will not poop or pee in a box that already has some elimination in it. Where is the box? Are her stools really hard or soft?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Her stools are very normal looking for a cat.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Her tray is in the kitchen. We live in a flat so there is nowhere that isn't exactly high traffic to put the box frustratingly

Great, so there should not be any pain or discomfort with pooping. Make sure her box is not near anything that would scare her. I see. Ummmmm is there anywhere you could put the box and put a little curtain up for some privacy? The multiple litter box may fix the problem, just trying to think of some other things you can do. I had a cat that had to have 2 boxes bc she had to have 1 for each elimination. The other thing you could try to find is something called Cat Attract. This is a litter but can be mixed with litter. It works for many kitties to get them back in the box.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks for your advice, will go get the second tray back out and see if this helps �� also will get some cat attract. We used the feliway plug in when we first got her, but haven't used it since November, so maybe we ought to plug that back in too?

Yes, good thought too! Best of luck, you will get it figured out; cats require more thinking than dogs....I think they like to keep us guessing ;)

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Absolutely! �� We aren't even fussed on the pooping as it's easy to clean up, it's more the urinating on the sofa that's been our main concern. Thanks for all your help and we will be back in touch if we need any more assistance!

absolutely, I'll be off an on today and tomorrow. Happy to help.