Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We think our cat has swallowed some sort of oil or varnish

Customer Question

We think our cat has swallowed some sort of oil or varnish from outside, we've washed him but he keeps panting and crying and he wont let us near him?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's 2 and a half
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pete?
Customer: No he has a clean medical history
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 7 months ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened.

The panting is a huge concern as this is very abnormal in a cat and indicates they are not getting enough oxygen.

This is a true emergency and he does need to be brought to the vet now. They will likely give him oxygen to stabilise him and will then determine the cause. If he has swallowed oil/varnish it may have gone down his windpipe and be causing a serious pneumonia. Alternatively, something else may have happened such as a trauma resulting in a punctured lung/hernia etc.

They may well want to perform xrays to have a look at the lungs

Does this all sound ok? Please do feel free to ask any further questions and to keep me updated on Pete
Hello, how is Pete getting on?

Good afternoon, this is just Dr Linda checking in for the final time as this question remains unrated and open.

Please do not forget to rate the answer by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation.

I do hope Pete is now fully recovered from his misadventure :)