Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a Syrian hamster that is around 2 years old, and over

Hi,I have a Syrian hamster that is around 2 years old, and over the past two weeks he has been losing his hair, and now is he is completely bald and I am worried
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Syrian hamster?
Customer: he doesn’t seem to be acting differently, he doesn’t eat much but he never has really
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Syrian hamster?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He also has a large lump on his rear end, I did google it and it seems that this could be his testicles?
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
If the lump is his testicles there should be 2 symmetrical, circular balls. If there is just one, this isn't his testicles and should be looked into.
With regards ***** ***** loss, when did this start? Is he itchy (rubbing or scratching)?
Finally, does the skin appear red , irritated or shabby?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think his testicles are present, I can send a video so that you could take a look? I have seen him scratch once but I don’t know if this was just a one-off occasion or if he has something going on
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is what he looks like
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I’m really concerned
Absolutely, though it would be easier to see in real life and that would also provide the opportunity to ensure they are not irregular.
If he had itchy skin you would normally see him itching all of the time, so a mite or bacterial infection is less likely.
At his age, baldness would make us concerned for a serious underlying health issue such as kidney disease or lymphoma. Have you noticed any other changes such as increased thirst or weight loss?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he has lost a lot of weight around his head/face and I think he has been drinking quite a lot
Oh bless him, what a cutie.
His skin appears abnormal with dark pigmentation. This would make me concerned for a hormonal disorder known as Cushings disease.
Given his other symptoms it would be best to perform a blood test. This can check for common causes of increased drinking such as diabetes, lymphoma, kidney disease or Cushings.
You can ask your local vet if they will perform this test but you may need to go to a small animal exotics pet.
It's possible that his testicles are further out of his body than normal if his temperature is up a bit and that they are more noticable dur to the fur loss. However, if it is a singular lump rather than two, this would indicate something else.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I will contact my local vet