Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a russel she will be 11 years old on the 3 March. The

Hi I have a jack russel she will be 11 years old on the 3 March . The last six months she has been either in her bed or on my bed she passes wind that’s what it sounds like but when you look she is pooping bright orange she stands up and it runs out of her . I had the vet come out to seen her she gave me some stuff to squirt in her mouth she also told me she would take her to the clinic and put her on a drip apart from the stuff to go in her I got one hefty bill and nothing else but she has started doing it again what is it do you know please
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the jack. What is the jack's name?
Customer: patch
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Patch?
Customer: yes she is going round scavenging everything she can get hold of she even takes food from her daughter and granddaughter as I have all 3
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
To confirm, she has had diarrhoea and farting for the last 6 months?
Any other symptoms such as weight loss, reduced appetite, increased thirst or vomiting?
What is her diet (please include any human food of treats she is given).
When was she last treated for parasites?
Finally, did the vet run any tests at all?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It’s not all the time just now and again but it gets really bad it’s just running out of her whether she moves or not , food wise she is trying to eat anything and everything she won’t stop eating it’s as though she is starving . She always was small compared to her daughter they have all been wormed regular they are on bakers complete which they have always been on so it’s not a change of food
Thank you very much for this.
Bless her, that cant be nice (for either you or her!).
With severe diarrhoea and a big appetite there are a few things that could be going on including Inflammatory Bowel Disease, diabetes, intestinal cancer, Cushing's disease etc.
To determine who exactly this is happening we would need to run a few tests. The first step would be a blood test, which can pick up on some of the more common conditions.
If the blood test is normal, we would then consider a faecal exam. Even dogs that are up to date with their parasite prevention can have parasitic infections, or she may have a bacterial infection.
If this test does not provide our answer the next step would be to perform some abdominal imaging, such as a scan.
In the mean time, there are a few things we could try such as:
Feeding a gastrointestinal diet such as Hills I/D
Preventing her eating ANY human food, dog treats or chews
Supplementing her with daily probiotics
Using an anti diarrhoea paste such as Protexin Prokolin
Using a very broad spectrum anti parasitic such as Panacur which can be more effective than other wormers.
All of the above products are available online or from pet stores or vets.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you for that I will have to get the vet to come out again and insist on her doing some test cos patch can’t go on like this .Her granddaughter is also sick she has episodes she had 2 fits last night so I have to get some more diazepam to put up her bottom as I had to use both of the ones I had last night
I think that's for the best. Please do feel free to let me know how everything goes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will thank you very much for your time
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for yesterday I took patch to the vets they took a stool sample gave her tube of paste stuff to put in her mouth ointment for her sore bottom antibiotics half a tablet twice a day and an injection with steroids and antibiotics they think she has an infection in her gut
Oh fab, hopefully she will soon be on the mend!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do hope so but thanks for your time