Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Marley Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Customer Question

Marley
Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Hes cut his leg and the skin is loose but theres no bleeding
Assistant: The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He's 14 weeks old
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 8 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
When did this happen?
Would you please be able to send a clear photo of the lesion?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It happened about 2 o'clock today and yeah that shouldn't be a problem
Great. I'll wait for the photo.
Please ignore any phone call requests; the website sends these automatically
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I will do and its uploaded now
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Have you got the photo
Oh bless him. The top layer of skin has been removed. It looks like a lovely clean cut and there is certainly no evidence of infection.
Ideally, this would would receive veterinary care this evening. Mainly because there is risk of infection.
Depending on the exam and how the laceration looks like in real life, there will be 2 options.
We may get away with clipping the surrounding fur, flushing through with saline and bandaging. Antibiotics +/- pain relief and anti-inflammatories will be provided. If he is trying to lick or chew, he may need a buster collar. Bandages would need to be changed every few days.
Option two would be a sedation or anesthetic in order to more thoroughly clean the wound and to either suture or staple it back together . Again, medicine will be provided. This option often leads to a better cosmetic result, less discomfort and a much quicker healing time.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My best option is to book a vet appointment then
Absolutely.
It is possible that it would heal slowly at home and scab over but we would risk an infection, prolonged healing and discomfort.
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 7 days ago.

Hi there, just Linda checking in to see how you get on and to ask if you had any further questions?

Expert:  Linda Simon replied 4 days ago.

Hello, this is just Dr Linda checking in on Marley for the final time as this question remains open and unrated. If you were satisfied with the response, please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating, we can continue the conversation.

I do hope Marley's wound is healing nicely and he is well.

Many thanks!