Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a stray cat coming in now for weeks. Now for last

Customer Question

I have a stray cat coming in now for weeks. Now for last couple of days hes bin staying in in our house it's a male cat lost loads of weight its breathing quite funny from its stomach area it's like wen weve got a cold n find it hard to breathe. That type of thing he screams wen trying to pick him up hes hissing at us as hes in pain it's awful to watch this as hes really not well. I have 3 cats of my own to contend with as well. I just dont wot to do for best
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the stray stray's name and age?
Customer: Weve called him thomas as hes a tom hes not neutered not chipped either I am guessing around 8 up wards
Assistant: How old is Thomas?
Customer: We dont know for sure guessing around 8 we think
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Thomas?
Customer: Hes had a poo it's hard also hes weeing Not eating much either
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 7 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok no probs

Assuming he is an entire male (has not been castrated), sadly this is a relatively common occurence. These cats get into all sorts of mischief because of their testosterone.

They will mate with females and fight with makes, commonly catching infectious disease such as feline Aids and Feline Leukaemia.

They are also prone to injuries such as being hit by cars and falling from heights, as well as cat fights.

On top of this, he is likely unvaccinated so prone to cat flu.

I would suspect he may have been injured or has one of the diseases mentioned above. Of course, there are other potential causes for his signs but these are most likely.

Ideally he needs to be seen by a vet ASAP so we can figure out what is going on and can start therapy.

The main concern is his breathing which may indicate e.g. fluid in his chest. Struggling to breathe can be quickly fatal so we want to get him sorted.

As he is difficult to get into a carrier to bring to the vet consider the following:

-Have a vet come to your home

-Ask a charity such as the RSPCA to send someone to get him

-Ask a charity to trap him in a humane cat trap and then have him assessed by the vet

-Work on getting him in the carrier by e.g. tempting him with food, so you can bring him to your vet

Depending on what is found, he may be rehomeable (to you or someone else), but we need to get him healthy first.

Please ignore the phone call request as the computer asks for this automatically. I am happy to converse via typing and you should not be charged for the call.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
So wots best

The best thing to do is to absolutely have him assessed by a vet ASAP. The quickest way would be for you to bring him in a cage, This may mean wearing thick gloves, using a towel, tempting with food, using a carrier that opens from the roof etc

If you can't get him into a carrier, the next best would be to either ask a private vet to come see him (he would need to be in your house for this) or contact a chairiy to attempt to catch him for you.

He will of course be checked for a microchip and given emergency treatment.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Which is the closest vets near wa10 6 qh as I'm on benefits as well
Better Vets is less than a mile from you. Their number is 0174423263
With regards benefits, private vets will not provide a discount.
You can contact charity vets (RSPCA, pdsa, blue cross) but have to discuss with them whether you are eligible or not. Simply give them a call and they will ask you about the benefits you receive etc.
If you are not planning on keeping him, you can call the charities regardless and they should be able to come out and get him (however they may struggle to catch/find him and may not be able to do this as soon as is needed).
Does this all sound ok? Please do let me know if you have any further questions

Were you able to get in touch with a local vet? Hopefully they are able to help

Expert:  Linda Simon replied 18 hours ago.

Hi there, this is just Linda checking in as this question remains open and unrated. Please don't forget to rate the response so I may be compensated for my time; otherwise your fee remains with the website. You are very welcome to ask any more questions you may have.