BestFriendsVet
BestFriendsVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  In small animal practice since 2003
24117175

My dog is shaking and breathing heavy in her bed Assistant:

My dog is shaking and breathing heavy in her bed
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: not eating her food
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: her name is*****: How old is Abbie?
Customer: is she 16 years old this year
This is Doctor they now. Wow, 16? You must have done something right for her to live this long. But it sounds like she's really uncomfortable. I do a lot of housecall hospice Services in my practice. Would you like to speak on the phone and I can help guide you?
Dr. Vaino, sorry :)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
please over the phone call would be great
Ok, I'm trying to figure out how to do it, hold on
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you
Thank you for your patience, hold tight
Ok, so no luck on my end. I called customer support and they gave me an email address to contact someone to help with instructions. There is literally nowhere to click to call you. I emailed, but do not know when I will receive an answer. But, we can do this via text. Is that ok for now? Please tell me... is she able to stand up? Are you able to tell me how many breaths per minute she is taking? Are her gums pale or gray, or are they a normal bright Carnation pink? Does she withdrawal when you gently pinch one of her toes, or does she seem to have no feeling? Does she cry out when you gently press on her abdomen, or does she not seem to care about that? What about vomiting or diarrhea, or any blood in either? Appetite?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She not able to stand
Did this come on gradually, or rather suddenly? What breed is she in approximately how many pounds? Have you given her any medications? If so, what were they, and did they seem to help or not?
Please tell me about the other things I asked. It will help me and giving you a recommendation
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
35 breaths a minute
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not doing anything when pinching her toes
That is rather High. What is her gum color?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Happened suddenly
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Her gums are pink
Any pain when you press gently along her spine or on her abdomen?
I know you said she cannot stand, but can she lift her head at least?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No pain
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No can’t lift her head
I have to tell you this. This isn't sounding good at all. The thing that concerns me the most is that she can't feel when you are pinching her toes. That means that she has decreased or even absent pain perception in her lower limbs, which could mean that she has had perhaps a spinal injury do to maybe a slip-and-fall, or even what we call intervertebral disc disease where a disc has come loose and is pressing on her spinal cord.
Of course, and a 16 year old patient, just about anything could be going on. And even with a phone call, it would be impossible for me to tell you exactly what that thing is without examining her in person and running some tests like blood work and x-rays. But what I can tell you is it sounds like she is suffering.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don’t think she has had a spinal injury
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think I will see how she goes over night and call my vets first think in the morning
I'm not even sure that she's necessarily in pain, since you told me she isn't reacting when you press on her belly or her spine. Just the simple fact that you can't get up is it good. So I'm not even sure that recommending a pain reliever would be of any benefit, if this is a neurological issue, which is what it sounds like to me.
That she can't get up" I meant
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much for your help I’m going to keep any eye on her over night and take her to the vets first thing
The only pain reliever you can give a dog over the counter is acetaminophen, which is Tylenol, at very low doses. Just remember Tylenol is toxic to cats. But we can use it in low Doses and dogs for short durations. But again I don't think the issue is necessarily pain. I think this is neurological, and I agree with you that taking her to your primary vet first thing in the morning, if she does not improve, would be the best thing to do. And if she still cannot get up at that point it would not be wrong to Let Her Go to heaven.
Just remember what I first said when we talked initially. 16 years is a good long life and you've obviously treated her very well and taking very good care of her. Is it comes down to letting her go, euthanasia is a gift in the end because natural death can be agonizing. That is why veterinarians like to spare their patients of that. Best of luck to you and to her
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your help
I'm always happy to help. I know how difficult it can be to have a pet emergency with no one to reach out to for guidance. Again, best of luck~