Linda Garrett
Linda Garrett,
Experience:  Owner at Self
75966804

My horse has not gone for a poo for six hours. I am

my horse has not gone for a poo for six hours. I am concerned this could be colic. No other symptoms though
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help your horse. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your horse?
Customer: I have brought him very recently. He was out in the field until linch time and it looked like him and his buddy had been charging about but he came in fine and has no other symptoms

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can assist with your concerns today.

Is your horse looking bright & alert?

Eating hay & breathing quietly?

Can you listen for gut sounds?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Im not at the yard at the moment but was there this evening he was normal breathing normally, he picks at his hay because its soaked and he doesnt like it. He ate his feed normally and was bright and alert. I did not check him for gut sounds

OK, then it really sounds like there is not too much worry just yet. You might want to try & listen for good gut sounds the next time you are with him by gently resting your ear on his flank area just behind his ribs. Listen on both sides. You can also pick up an inexpensive stethoscope at a pharmacy & makes things a little easier.

Since you indicated that he was out in the field, are you sure he did not defecate at any time while outdoors?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He may have defecated in the field its a large field and he shares it with another horse, he came in at 1.30 this afternoon and has not passed any stools since. Im wondering should i go back out and check on him tonight or wait until the morning (which is when i would be due to see him). This morning when i mucked him out he had the normal amount of stools for last night.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Also if i do go back and see him tonight and there are no stools but i can hear gut sounds do i leave him until the morning

You know, it is always better to go back & check, otherwise you will worry all night.

And yes, if there is no manure in the stall, but your horse is quiet & comfortable & your can hear gurgling in the gut, then I would feel comfortable to recheck in the morning. If there are no stools in the morning, that is the time to call the vet as your horse may need to be oiled.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thank you

You are very welcome. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please just reply here. No need to open a new question.