Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 7 month old kittens won't sleep during the day? Is this

My 7 month old kittens won't sleep during the day? Is this normal
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Elsa and Jackson
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elsa?
Customer: She has another male kitten as company
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi okay
While we generally say that cats of this age will sleep 12-16 hours a day this varies hugely from one to another.
Some sleep more at night and others during the day. Some sleep in long stretches while others 'cat nap'.
Those who have busy lives and have other cats, children, toys, outdoor access etc to keep them but tend to sleep less.
As long as they are growing well and have no health complaints (diarrhoea, vomiting , coughing, poor quality coat etc) I wouldn't worry at all. This can be very normal!
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello can we please message instead
Absolutely. Please ignore any phone call requests which come automatically from the website and are beyond my control
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes that is true they have outdoor access but still don't sleep really during the day. And can jump on tables etc
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
When do u think this will stop?
The lack of sleeping? It may continue like this for their lives; it is really quite normal and nothing to be worried about.
However, it is true that after adoleaences some cats will relax a bit and sleep more so you may notice this when they are about 2 years of age.
Some cats may also become less active and more 'chilled' after being neutered, although there is no guarantee of this.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay. Do you have any recommendations to keep them busy in the day while this continues?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They have outdoor access
Absolutely.
Increase indoor exercise with: Pole toys, lasers and wind up mice for them to chase. Many love to chase after ping pong balls too.
Have a cat tree and scratching post for them to enjoy.
Engage their brains with food puzzle toys.
Play games such as hiding treats around the home or in cardboard boxes for them to find.
The more we engage both their mind and body the more content they'll be and they should sleep better too!
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay i will do my very best thank you. Also i am currently heavily pregnant and I also have an 11 month old baby i don't usually have the cats around the baby would you say this was ok also?

Oh bless you (and congratulations!)

The main risk while pregnant is toxoplasmosis, which perhaps your GP or midwife discussed? If not here is some more info:https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/pregnancy-complications/infections-pregnancy/toxoplasmosis-pregnancy

The rest is just common sense like keeping babies and cats separate and monitoring when together. A 'cat net' can be used over moses baskets and cribs to prevent cats from jumping in.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay yes that's understandable. And thanks for your support.
Happy to help and best of luck !