Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years
45762142

My cat had wet poop and blood for so many times in last few

hi, my cat had wet poop and blood for so many times in last few days
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Ricardo, nearly 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ricardo?
Customer: Ricardo had his poop tested last week, he is coronavirus and germs postive

Hi there, this is Dr. Sara. Sorry to hear this. Was his poop positive for parasites? What type of treatment did your vet prescribe?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Dr.Sara, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's negative for parasites

Sure. Usually a stool sample checks for intestinal parasites.

got it, good. Was he put on any medicationsfor the soft stool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the prescription is one week metronidazole tablets
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the medication is not working

Ok, great. That should help. How many days has he been on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it even make stool quality worse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7 days

If the metro isn't working, it might be time to consider other things like a probiotic and a diet change ( probably a temporary diet change).

A good combination is Fortiflora and Purina EN

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi thanks for your suggestions, we've tried probiotic and diet change before, not working

Ok, then the next step would be an extensive fecal panel and some blood work to look for evidence of inflammatory bowel disease.

Does he go outside?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, he never spent anytime outside, we live in an apartment, sometimes he walk along the floor corridor

Ok, then it is time for a general work up with labwork. Inflammatory bowel disease is a strong possibility. There is general labwork and then specific GI labs that may need to be looked at also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why metro is not helping if he has IBD? the metro even made things worse. Pretty confusing here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have done PCR before, do you suggest we do further blood test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what might be the solution to IBD? medication or surgery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your patient

You are right in that metronidazole is used for IBD. In many cases, a different antiibiotic needs to be used bc metro doesn't work. In addition, many patients need a combination of meds including metronidazole or tylan, with Cobalamin and a steroid like prednisolone. IBD is rarely treated with one medication. So, I think this is why you arent' seeing the results you should be.

I think general bloodwork and GI panel from Texas A&M would be my next step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay sure, thanks Dr. Sara, i don't have any further questions. You have been brilliant. I live in London. I might have to find some local vets to do the job. Thanks very much for your time. Wish you a great day.

Thank you so much! Hope that gives you a starting point. Have a good evening (8pm here) :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
haha, cheers:D have a good night/evening.