Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years
45762142

My dog keeps callapsing after she’s been sat down for a

Hi my dog keeps callapsing after she’s been sat down for a while shes had a cough for a while and the vets have tried het with powder and liquid but nothing has worked she is 13 years old so we thinking maybe it’s time to let her go but after she has callapsed she is fine and she scoffs her food and loves eating still so we just insure if we take her to vets and have to leave her we think she will panic and it could be last time we see her
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: She is called honey the coughing seems to be like she is trying to clear her troat
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Honey?
Customer: no just the coughing and callapsing

Hello, this is Dr. Sara. This sounds concerning. Does she have a heart condition? What medications were being used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but we think she might have one she is a little overweight and at the moment she is not on any medication

What was the powder and liquid? What did your vet diagnose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a while back when she was on that and we can’t remember the liquid was like a bottle of snot and we had to put the powder on her food she has only just started callapsing recently
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet didn’t really help just spent 2 mins with her and then told me to try the powder and liquid and sent me on my way he did say we might have to leave her in the vets but she will panic like mad as she a rescue dog and 2 family’s couldn’t handle her
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are tying to get a house call but we struggling to find vets that do home visits

Ok, I see. In an older pet, the most likely cause would be heart disease but some older dogs can have really old lungs and have something like a person with COPD. If it is her heart, there may be medications to help. So, one option would be to have her examined and have some xrays taken or maybe an ultrasound of her heart. My concern is that if it is her heart, she could have a heart attack at any time.

A house call vet would be a good option for an exam, but any testing would probably have to be done at a veterinary office/hospital.

Did you google house call vets near me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok no problem and we did google house call vets near me in Blackpool but it comes up with loads of vets and we been clicking on a few and can’t seem to find anyone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To do a ultrasound and that would they need to put the dog to sleep or can that be done without having to do that

to narrow it down, you could call your vet or another one in the area and see if they know of or keep a listo of house call vets. Many hospitals do.

ultrasound is done awake, and usually the room is kept very calm and dark, so little stress

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try that thankyou very much for your help it’s more information than I got from my vets and we will make sure she gets sorted

Ohhh, sorry to hear that. Agreed, if you aren't getting what you want or need from someone, there are other veterinarians to talk to. Best of luck! Have a good day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou and you to