Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have a pregnant dog 10 days, and I have been giving her

I have a pregnant dog 10 days, and I have been giving her cid liver oil and green lipped mussel supplement without realising they are both bad for her. I need urgent advice.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Can I ask how far into her pregnancy she is? Also what was the reason for giving those medications to her?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
About 10 days
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I thought they were good supplements. I give them to all my dogs I just didn’t realise they were dangerous if your dog is oregnant
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
S
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have you got an answer for me

I wouldn't worry so much about the green lipped muscle, but the cod liver oil I would not recommend to give to dogs due to the risk of toxicity from high levels of vitamin A and D.

I would discontinue both of these supplements whilst your dog is pregnant and feeding the pups.

I would also recommend an ultrasound scan at around 30 days to check that the pups are appearing normal and healthy.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

The risk should be small as it is generally with long term use that we seem to see problems, unfortunately there is no way to know if there has been any affect on the foetuses at this stage.