Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My wee dog died on sat totally unexpected on fri night she

My wee dog died on sat totally unexpected on fri night she became unwell and was unable to walk we rushed her to the vet on sat morning the vet said something had ruptured inside her and it would be best to put her to sleep I wanted her put to sleep at home so she was given morphine to bring her home which would last until the vet came but she was dead wen he examined her I keep thinking she may have died bringing her home because she stayed the same while cuddled her can you please give me some answers as you can imagine we are devastated.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: she was a 12 year old staffie
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions.
Please accept my sincerest condolences for your loss.
Was there any underlying medical conditions or medications we had been on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
she was a bit overweight on no medications
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no
Did her abdomen swell or seem bloated before she passed?
What did she weigh approximately?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not to sure of her weight she was a bit bloated
Did the bloat seem to come on more rapidly before she passed on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think so
There can be a condition where large breed dogs stomach can “twist”. Then this can progress very rápidly.
The large name for it can be Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus. It comes on without warning usually. They can pass very rapidly from This.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the vet compared it to an aneurysm
From what you have said. Being this breed. How rapidly it came on. This is very high on the differential then. Only immediate surgery may save these. However many die before they even reach the clinic as it happens and progresses so rapidly
The other differential can be perhaps a ruptured mass on the spleen. When these rupture like an aneurism. They go rapidly too.
If this is the case too. It progresses very rapidly and they pass on Fast. There really is not so much we can do with that either as fast as it happens and comes on. To me it seems you took wonderful care of her. You did all you can. This event was really “not preventatable”. I know this does not bring her back. However I do hope this helps you to better know and understand you did all that you could for her
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks that's helped a bit
We can keep this message open for 5 days. If you need to talk or have anymore questions. Please let me know. I will be happy to do all I can at this time of loss for
You and your family
You are more than welcome. Please take care. Dr Mike