Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat vomited several tim Vomited several times today, I

Customer Question

My cat vomited several tim Vomited several times today
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: I think so.. some rubber but now she makes some strange sounds like trying to breath and coughing in the same time
JA: What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Amun, 10 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Amun?
Customer: just that it is a sphynx cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara, with over 20yrs of veterinary experience. Please give me time to review & type a full response. I can't take phone calls.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 days ago.

Do Amun's episodes look like this (this is a video of a dog but the episodes will be similar in dogs and cats)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HXcMLokADc&feature=related

If she looks like the video this is a "reverse sneeze" which is caused by irritation of the pharynx. It can be from inhaled irritants. It can be related to gastroesophageal reflux. It can be caused by excitement or post nasal drip or an overlong soft palate. It isn't harmful as it's just a spasm of the muscles around the pharynx because of the irritant, but it's no fun to watch. It can be stopped most times by rubbing her throat.

In Amun's case because we know she ate some rubber pieces I suspect that this is related to gastroesophageal reflux and stomach acid burning her pharynx and upper airways/back of her nose.

I am worried she may have an obstruction.

If she doesn't have an obstruction, but just an upset stomach/reflux from eating something she should not have then using an acid reducer may help. You can try Pepcid-ac (generic famotidine) at a dose of 0.5mg to 1.0mg per kilogram orally every 12 hours for a few days. That's one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 5 kilogram cat every 12 hours. If this helps she can stay on it for several days as Pepcid is quite safe.

In cats this may just be postnasal drip and pharyngeal sensitivity from an upper respiratory infection. In these cases you may see eye & nasal discharge as well. As the infection waxes and wanes her symptoms should improve. If this is related to a respiratory infection you can try supplementing with L-lysine at 500mg orally twice daily. This amino acid interferes with virus replication and thus decreases the length and number of recurrances.

Sometimes this can be related to dental or gum disease and the secondary inflammation from chronic infections. That would be very unlikely at this age.

In cats this can also be a symptom of asthma or even heartworm disease. I would recommend a heartworm test and chest radiographs to ruleout these disease processes if the symptoms persist.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your response. I managed to take a short video with the sounds that she is doing
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 days ago.

Thanks, I am seeing a very exaggerated swallowing motion, with head extension and then lip licking. There is likely some gastroesophageal reflux involved.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 days ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, Dr. Kara.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi Dr Kara, next day we took her to the vet. It seems that she’s been intoxicated with something. I think it s because we had some guest and they didn’t know they have to put down the toilet seat and she drank water with blocks
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 days ago.

I see, that could make sense. Bleaches and other detergents/soaps are mucous membrane and gastrointestinal lining irritants so she would have had a very sore throat and nausea from that, and could lead to gastrointestinal cramping and loose stools. If she inhaled fumes from those chemicals that could cause respiratory tract irritation and burns.

I would definitely recommend using one of the acid reducers I mentioned to help heal her irritated lining and help avoid stricture formation/scarring.