MsAM
MsAM,
6012901

I want to buy my daughter some fish. Can I buy them and put

I want to buy my daughter some fish. Can I buy them and put them straight in a tank of cold tap water if they are cold water fish or do I need to do certain things first
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I’ll be glad to help you.Cold water fish are not as easy to keep as one would think. It is definitely not safe to simply put them in cold water from the tap. What you need to do first depends on a few factors, so some additional information may help me determine the best steps for you to take.Exactly what kind of fish do you have in mind?How big is your tank: gallons or liters?Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have changed my mind about the fish as I don’t feel I have the time to commit to them Thankyou anyway
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou

Yes, they actually require a fairly large output of time and money. The tank has to go through a process called cycling before fish can be added. Then the water has to be conditioned. Every week water changes have to be done. They’re definitely not an easy pet. If I can help in any other way, just let me know.