Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My Labrador dog has been up all night trying to be sick but

Hi my Labrador dog has been up all night trying to be sick but cannot be. Maybe the first time around midnight she was sick a small amount but now about every hour she wants to go outside but then can't be sick
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is this new behavior?
Customer: Thank you I really appreciate it. Yes she has never done this before We can hear her stomach gurgling loudly
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the Labrador's name and age?
Customer: Dixie She is a rescue maybe 7-10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dixie?
Customer: No she is overall an extremely healthy dog

Hello, my name is Dr Scott, thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today.

But first, please allow me ten minutes or so to think things over and then type up your answer.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello Dr Scott, many thanks
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
For now the online advice is fine, thank you

No problem regarding the phone call, I'm very glad to type up a written answer for you ...

Hello again,

Sorry to hear that Dixie is unwell, hopefully, this is something very minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below. But be aware that this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners use while waiting for their vet's appointment, these often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day, feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

Of course, if other symptoms occur and any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Dixie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi that is really helpful thank you. Could she possibly have something lodged inside her that she's eaten and cannot bring up or is the likelihood she would have more smptoms?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Intestinal tract obstruction and more serious problems are possible. But in my experience, the most likely cause of this would be due to something the dog has eaten, a bit like food poisoning in a person. Hopefully, with the help of some simple home remedies, this problem will pass but if you become further concerned and the dog deteriorates in any way, you should have a local vet check her over. But hopefully, this will not be necessary.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it