Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 11 month cavapoo over the past couple of days has become

Hi there my 11 month cavapoo over the past couple of days has become very lethargic, hot, unsettled, breathing quickened than shallow ,off his food and just not himself...what should I do? He does tend to pick things up and eat things outside could it be this? I’m not sure in the current situation if I should take him to see my local vet? Please help... A very anxious Gill
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: He’s an 11 month cavapoo dog sorry
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Teddy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddy?
Customer: He’s normally very bouncy happy little dog that never leaves you alone and wants to play. He’s just moving from spot to spot in the appartment trying to keep cool
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I'm sorry to hear Teddy is unwell.
Is he eating or drinking at all?
Has he been passing poo?
Any vomiting or coughing?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi there, he is off his normal food so I’ve fed him scrambled egg which he has eaten. He isn’t drinking like he normally does and has been coughing. He vomited yesterday but not today so far. He is passing poo yes.
Thank you for this response. It's reassuring he can eat and hold it down when tempted. You could continue with bland and nutritious tasty food little and often for several days. As well as egg, chicken, turkey, rice and white fish are all good choices. You can add warm water to make a broth type dish.
It's important he does not become dehydrated so we would want to check his gums remain pink and wet.
A blockage is less likely if he has the ability to hold down food and is passing normal stool. I think a viral infection he has picked up from another dog would be more likely though. If this is the case, we would expect him to gradually improve each day. You can allow him to rest, avoid exercise and keep a close eye on him to ensure this happens.
In the ideal world, yes, he should be seen by a vet as it sounds as though he may have a fever and would benefit from some medication to bring this down. Given the cough, it would also be good to listen to his heart and lungs to assess for e.g. a lung infection. If your local vet is open for emergencies, you are able to bring him and he is not better today- I would have him seen.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for this, he has just gone and brought his toy to me now which is reassuring and we had him on a field the other day and beach that he has never been on before so can a viral infection be picked up?
Absolutely and at that age they are quite prone. There are diseases that even vaccinated dogs are susceptible to and they tend to make them unwell for a period of 2-3 days. Hopefully he is over the worst and is feeling more himself today, in which case we wouldn't necessarily need a vet trip.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your help it’s been really reassuring��
Not at all, please feel free to ask any further questions you may have throughout the day