Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

Our cat has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer that has

Our cat has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes. He needed to have surgery as this mass unusually contains cystic fluid but now the vets say they can’t do this surgery until after the lockdown as it’s not deemed urgent!! How long can he go on before surgery becomes urgent?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Billy. He’s 12/13.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Billy?
Customer: He had a lot of tests before this was diagnosed and they all came back clear. His kidneys & liver are good.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Have there been any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications currently on?
Can you send a picture to review of the location and size of the mass ?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Initially he was having trouble swallowing & after examinations the vet found a huge cyst deep in his throat which burst when taking a biopsy. Billy was then referred to a specialist vets who had CT scans & these revealed a thyroid cancer that had spread to the lymph nodes. Unusually the mass contained a lot of cystic fluid & we were shown the scans that showed his food pipe was significantly narrowed. Currently he is eating ok but we are v concerned that soon he won’t be able to. He goes outside to go to the toilet. The decision was made to do surgery rather than radiation treatment as the mass contained so much fluid. Now they tell us that they won’t do it till after the lockdown!! But however long can he stay able to eat or even breathe in the long term with this big mass inside him?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No we have no picture! The mass is just over 5 cm

DId your veterinarian start you on any medication after this was found for pain or inflammation?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No

When they told you that they were postponing the surgery. Was there any discussion about the possibility to start on any pain medications or anti-inflammatories? As if the mass is that big there, it may start to put pressure on other structures. In which case medications may be helpful to keep eating and drinking well.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No. We got the message late today passed on by a receptionist That the operation wasn’t an emergency & we have not yet heard from the specialist. We feel that it is an emergency because otherwise he could deteriorate & die.
So are there medications we can ask our normal vets to give him? (assuming they agree it’s urgent!)

I am sorry that you are going through all of this. With how you explained it to me, the concern is that if it starts to enlarge again it may imping on other vital structures. That is where some pain medications and also some antiinflamatories may be necessary to control the inflamation that may occur. We can keep this message open for 5 days if you want to let me know how things go after talking to the specialist or your regular veterinarian. How soon were they planning on doing the surgery?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
This coming Monday!
Many thanks for your responses. We will try & speak to someone tomorrow & ask if we can either get these medications or else go to another specialist to see if they can assist us.

I feel that will be best given the location and size of it. You are more than welcome. If you have any other questions or concerns, let me know. I wish you well and have a wonderful day. Dr Mike

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I will thank you.

Happy to help.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Just to say that Billy did get his operation today, they decided he really needed it. We collect him tomorrow. Thanks for listening to me a few days ago.

Great, I am happy they were able to do the surgery for you. That is great news!! Have a wonderful day and let me know how all goes when you get him home. Take care. Dr Mike

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Our cat is home & recovering well - not sure he’ll need further treatment but currently we want him to recover from this major op (he had one of his thyroid glands removed + lymph nodes) - thanks for chatting to me. Not a very usual/common case at all but dealt with well eventually by a specialist vets.

I am happy to hear that all is going well for your little one. I wish you the best and have a wonderful day. Dr Mike