Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dachshund is 11 years old.Very fit healthy boy who

my dachshund is 11 years old.Very fit healthy boy who recently started inward sneezing and sneezing a lot.It then had a bad door when he sneezed.After taking him to the vet he could see he had a tooth abcess so kept him in and took out two large top teeth and X-rays showed no tutors.The vet said he had a putrid smell coming from the abcess ad it was drained. sorry haven't finished I pressed go by mistake
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Basil
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Basil?
Customer: When I got him back home he was still reverse sneezing so after a few days I took him back and he thinks the hole hasn't heeled yet from the tooth distraction causing liquid to go up the hole does the nose.He is doing this inward sneeze about 3 times a day and night and now tonight the discharge again smells.He is on antibiotics which I give him religiously.He is eating, playing,barking as normal.His appetite has never changed.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
this is a video of Basil plain today then an attack

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
That clip was meant to say playing today

The links are images rather than videos. Basil's vet is likely to be correct. These dogs will form an oronasal fistula which may never seal up and require surgical correction. Both fluid and food can enter the fistula and decay resulting in persistent infection and odor. How many days has it been post-extractions, please?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Not tonight as I’m laying with my daughter who is asleep

I'm not sure who you're replying to. Here's what I posted directly above your last post: "The links are images rather than videos. Basil's vet is likely to be correct. These dogs will form an oronasal fistula which may never seal up and require surgical correction. Both fluid and food can enter the fistula and decay resulting in persistent infection and odor. How many days has it been post-extractions, please?"

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He had the distractions last Monday week so it’s been 10days
The video clips were him playing today and also an inward sneeze attack
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I was replying to the question of a phone call but I can’t as I’m laying with my daughter who is asleep

Thank you. Photos rather than videos uploaded. Normal healing occurs within 10-14 days. If the defect left by the extractions persists longer than that, a fistula has formed and this will be a surgical problem. Please continue with our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
So is it dangerous at this point as with our current lock down situation I am extra nervous and worried about getting him to a vet and I’m so afraid. Vs get
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My phone keeps changing extraction to distraction.Apologies

No, it's not an emergent problem but do continue giving the antibiotics and if you see food packing in the defect, gently remove it with a cotton tip applicator without pushing it further up into the nasal cavity. No worries.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
trying to send the video clip again

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

Excellent video of nasal cavity involvement. There's currently a fistula(s) between the oral and nasal cavities. Please continue with our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
And then playing

He reminds me of my doxi Samson when I was growing up. Behaved just like that when we played ball. He doesn't care that he had two teeth removed and now those areas need to heal.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ahh did you have one too.I have 4 children and count Basil as my fifth.I adore him .He has never had dog food and is spoilt rotten.He is fed a special home cooked diet and is a perfect weight.My last one was attacked and killed by a greyhound whilst on a lead and it’s made my time with Basil extra paranoid that something will happen to him.
Thankyou for your advice

Yes, Samson was a brown one and never had a back problem. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow up in this venue so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience - even after rating.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I will and thankyou again

I appreciate it!

Thank you for your kind accept.