Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

He has tufts of dry skin that is making small dry baldy

He has tufts of dry skin that is making small dry baldy patches as it pulls the hair out
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: mini dachshund
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dachshund?
Customer: he has dry skin that is flaking of him and making small bald patches all over his back
JA: Where does the dachshund seem to hurt?
Customer: he doesn’t seem to hurt! Just these baldy patches on his fur
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Rudi and he’s 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rudi?
Customer: the vet has suggested in the past he may have an allergy but does not know to what! He often scratched with his mouth and licks at the top of his front legs on his chest

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paper clip icon above your message box (if you can see that icon) or an external app such as dropbox. You can also send them to [email protected] but it can take up to 24 hours to reach me in that manner.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can you see the photo? That is what is scattered across his back
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
That is what the top of his leg looks like today! That has been an ongoing issue that we can5 seem to get to the bottom of! The vet has suggested taking certain things out his diet but it didn’t help
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
That dry skiing and bald patches is new though

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

Excellent photos. The back lesions are epidermal collarettes which usually indicate pyoderma - bacterial skin infection often caused by Staphylococcus. The roughly circular collarettes begin as pustules and then spread outward. The center quiets down and often hyperpigments but the rim can remain actively inflamed, infected, and crusted. Collarettes can also be seen with fungal infections and autoimmune skin diseases. Treatment at this time should consist of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing every other day in a 2-4% chlorhexidine- or 2.5-3% benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution of the infection. The antibiotic must be prescribed by an attending vet. You can find the shampoos over the counter where dog supplies are sold.

The areas at top of his legs represent skin fold pyoderma which can be treated similarly but I'll post my entire synopsis of skin fold pyoderma for you. You'll see some redundancy with what I've already posted.

1) A weight reduction program should be initiated if Rudi is obese.
2) Cleansing wipes (i.e., alcohol-free acne pads, baby wipes, chlorhexidine-containing pledgets, other antimicrobial wipes) used every 12-72 hours work very well.
3) Alternatively, routine topical therapy can be used to control the skin problem. The affected area should be cleaned every 1-3 days as needed with an antibacterial shampoo that contains chlorhexidine, benzoyl peroxide, or ethyl lactate. These shampoos can be found over the counter in pet/feed stores, online, or at Rudi's vet hospital.
4) Topical application of an antibiotic ointment, solution, or spray every 24 hours for the first 5-7 days of therapy may be helpful. The safe prescription mupirocin ointment is available through Rudi'svet and should be considered.
5) Surgical excision of excess skin folds is usually curative. The prognosis is good but lifelong topical maintenance therapy may be needed if surgical correction isn't performed. Practically speaking, such surgery is rarely performed in those areas.

The skin folds can end up affected by acanthosis nigricans. Dermatologists would slap my wrist for mentioning this as it's now considered a form of skin fold pyoderma. You might google the keywords "acanthosis nigricans" and see what I mean.

Please respond with additional questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can order a shampoo to help him however what with the covid-19 I cannot get Rudi to the vet to prescribe an antibiotic is there anything else I can do until the lockdown is lifted?

Yes, everything I've mentioned above save the systemic antibiotic and mupirocin can be found over the counter.

Strange times, indeed.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Definitely! So just do everything except the antibiotic just now? And get the antibiotic after lockdown?

Yes! Shampooing him in a chlorhexidine-shampoo every 2 days is most important. I'm concerned that a benzoyl peroxide shampoo will be too harsh in those areas.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow up in this venue so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience - even after rating.