Abby D
Abby D, Veterinary Surgeon (BSc, BVetMed, MRCVS)
Experience:  An experienced small animal vet with particular expertise in emergency and critical care
106574542

My cat has given birth this morning and has delivered all

My cat has given birth this morning and has delivered all her kittens. It's been at least 6 hours since they arrived but she keeps panting really hard. Is that normal?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your kitten?
Customer: My cat has given birth this morning and has delivered all her kittens. It's been at least 6 hours since they arrived but she keeps panting really hard. Is that normal?
JA: Where does your kitten seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't seem hurt she keeps panting and breathing really hard? Is that normal for a cat who's recently had kittens?
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Ivy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ivy?
Customer: No, apart from the birth this morning.

Hi, this is Abby, I’m a vet based in the UK. Ordinarily I would expect her to be more settled by now. Is she straining at all as if she has more kittens? Is she usually healthy and not on any medications besides flea/dewormer/vaccinations? Has she urinated/passed stools? Have you got any external heat sources for the kittens e.g. hot water bottles/heat pads etc that could be making her too hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No shes not left her kittens or been to her litter box. Shes not on any medication and there are no external heat sources besides a a few blankets. She doesn't feel hot, her body is kind of room temp or may be a little on the cold side. She keeps panting and breathing heavy she only stops when shes cleaning her kittens or eating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shes not straining or anything like that apart from the really heavy breathing and panting.

Ok thanks for the information, have you been with her the whole time? I only ask because sometimes cats can become stressed by the extra attention from their owners when they give birth and it can be a bit unsettling for them. Sometimes they like to have a little privacy with their new babies. I’m assuming she has a clean litter tray very close by so she doesn’t have to go too far from her kittens. Has she had kittens before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No shes a new mum and hasnt had kittens before. She wanted to have the kittens in my room so I have been here but shes been in a box and doesn't seem to mind me being here. S

Aw bless her, you are obviously her safe place. This will be a very stressful time for her, I guess my only concern is that sometimes cats pant because they are having issues breathing, I think this is unlikely given that it only started after she had the kittens so it is more likely to be stress! Could you leave the room for 30 minutes, maybe go and have a cup of tea, and see how she is when you get back? If she is feeling anxious and not using the litter tray even though she needs to that could cause her to be a bit panty. If she is still panty and unsettled in a few hours I would have her checked by a vet to make sure she doesn’t have a temperature, and also make sure there are no kittens left. It is a bit early for her to have an infection resulting from the birth but if she doesn’t settle soon and using the litter tray doesn’t improve things I would feel better getting her checked over. But do try leaving her alone for a bit to see if that helps. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I'll leave her alone for a bit and then see how she gets on. I've left her food and water.

Ok that sounds like a plan, do let me know if you have any further questions, I’ll leave this window open just in case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I came back into the room she seemed fine. When she got off the bed she went to the litter tray but didn't use it. She stopped the panting and heavy breathing but its started again now. Does that mean that shes just stressed out?

Yes it sounds like it, I would continue as you are and keep an eye on her. If this afternoon you still are not happy with her do get her checked over by a vet just in case. I hope that helps.