Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

Uti, Dog, she has a uti, she isn’t hurt, bella aged 8

Uti
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: she has a uti
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she isn’t hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: bella aged 8 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: no

Hello, you're through to Dr. Edele, I'm a vet working in the UK. Sorry to hear about Bella being ill.

Can you describe her symptoms to me please and when they started?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She has a low appetite and urinates frequently and very little. I have dog urinalysis strips here at home and I took a sample today. Her leukocyte level is in the +++500 mark.

Ok, thank you. Could you send me a picture of the whole strip and the brand of the strips too please so I can just check her protein etc.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (S1S7SS5)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry I didn’t let the first one get to 60 seconds. The second one is correct.

Ok, perfect thank you for that. It looks from that that she has quite alkaline (high pH) urine and very concentrated urine. It looks from that like she most likely does have a UTI (as you said) but there's no sign that she has any kidney issues and there's no blood which is good too.

Ideally, with a strip test like that, I would like to start her on antibiotics. You would have to take her to your veterinary surgeon to be examined for that.

Most veterinary practices are working on restricted hours or contact so you may have to wait for an appointment. In the meantime, you can give her some anti-inflammatory medication to help with the discomfort. Could you tell me her weight please so I can calculate how much she can receive

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
4.5kg

Ok, she can have children's paracetamol (Calpol infant suspension) You can give her 1.5ml of Calpol infant suspension. If you have a different type of paracetamol for children just send me a pic and I can tell you if the amount is different.

Another thing you can try to do is acidity her urine a little. There's a product called Protexin CystoPro (https://www.protexinvet.com/cystopro/p6203) which is good for this. Whole cranberry juice is TOXIC to pets so she can't have that directly.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She’s 4.5kg
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay I’ll take a look at that
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have calpol that’s fine

If you have any other questions or queries about the medications etc with Bella you can message me here even after accepting the answer. I hope you can get an appointment soon and she'll be back on the mend in no time.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

No problem, have a good day.