Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My dog has a skin sore that's infected. patch, 14, i just

Customer Question

hi, my dog has a skin sore that's infected.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: patch, 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Patch?
Customer: i just want something that can help clear the skin infection. i'm bathing it with salt water and using manuka honey on but needs something nore.
Expert:  Edele Grey replied 16 days ago.

Hello, You're through to Dr. Edele. I'm a vet working in the UK.

Sorry to hear Patch is having some problems. Could you send me some pictures of Patch's sore, please? This will help me to advise you on the best course of action

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks i will do shortly.

That's no problem, thank you

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She's not taking any other medication. Please can you prescribe something, like an antibiotic? This won't heal.

Is there any smell or discharge from the sore?

Is she scratching it?

She's very cute!!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Also pain killers perhaps? She's old. She has growths and tumors, i'm keeping her comfortable. She eats and drinks. But these skin thing is becuase she scratches and so now won't heal. please can you help?

From the images you've provided, it doesn't appear to be infected, however, if she is scratching at the area she will be preventing it from healing. It's most likely she's itchy rather than truly painful.

My advice for you is to

1) clip the hair around the sore as they will prevent it from healing.

2) put a babygrow or small child's t-shirt on so that she can't scratch at it.

3) You can give her half a piriton (4mg tablet) twice per day which will help with the inflammation. This is the human medication that you can get from the chemist, check with the chemist that it's a 4mg tablet and that it's piriton (no other antihistamine).

Unfortunately, I can't prescribe antibiotics over this platform. You would have to see your veterinary practice to receive antibiotics.