Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a cat which gave birth to 6 kittens 8weeks ago since.

Customer Question

Hey there! I have a cat which gave birth to 6 kittens 8weeks ago since. She has been very anti social and depressed since she gave birth. Last week I put in flea treatment on her and she then had diarrhoea for two/three days which she got better but today she’s been meowing a lot
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Mimi
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mimi?
Customer: I also don’t think she has been vaccinated
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
When will I be able to get a reply!
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 12 days ago.
This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 20 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case. Have there been any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications currently on?The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. It is just sent out automatically. However, if you wish to keep typing. We can message all here.I am here to provide as much relevant information and guidance that I can, but I am unable to legally prescribe medications or make a final diagnosis. Any recommendations I make will be limited by lack of a physical examination. In many cases I may end up recommending your pet to be seen by a veterinarian for further assistance or you may still wish to have a physical examination with a veterinarian at a clinic.If you can send pictures to review it will be most helpful.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Dr Mike, I haven’t see a noticeable change in her eating. I’ve seen her drink water a lot more often in the previous days she had diarrhoea for 2/3 after I put the treatment on her but she’s defecating fine now
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She doesn’t have any underlying health conditions and is not on any medication
The diarrhea has all resolves now? What are you feeding ?
How old is she ? Was this her first litter?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
it has been resolved! She’s having wet food mostly “Felix” brand
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I think she’s about 1 year and half old! I’m not too sure as I adopted her a couple months ago after previous owner passed away
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
that was her first litter
It can be common for changes and stress in life (nursing many kitties ) to get diarhea. Now she is depressed and less active ?
Is she all indoor? What is she eating now ?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
she has been depressed and anti social since the birth of the kittens
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No she’s not indoor cat she used to go outside a lot before
They can have much hormonal changes with the ovaries after birth. This can even be more noticeable on the first litter. As this is all new to them also.
More appetizing food to make happier, more canned food, chicken, fish may make a bit “happier “ too
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Like as in would not see her for hours and hours since she gave birth she has been indoor mostly and doesn’t want to go out
Many times when there is stress and anxiety or changes, things to help release more natural endorphins can help. Cat nip is one possible source, you can find toys with it. You can also get the granular cat nip and sprinkle it on places they frequent, like scratcing posts, toys, sleeping areas. Feliway makes a natural pheromone diffusor that you can plug into the wall. It can put the natural pheromones in the air and also comes in a spray that you can spray on areas to help cats to feel more calm too. These may take some time to help, however they may make the cats feel more calm and less anxious too.
Just does not want to go out of the house? Wants to stay indoors more ?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She eats wet food and we also do give her fresh chicken or meat when ever we do cooking
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
she want to stay indoor even when we try to encourage her to go out she just sleeps outside the door and doesn’t go any further
Many cats that do go in and out. Find that it is nicer in the house. They then decide life in the house is better. Grew up and lived most of my life in the country. Had many mothers like this until they were spayed. Once they had the kitties indoors. They did not want to go back out as it seems they may think that they will lose the “in house “status
This is just what I have noticed to also. That also could be going on why does not want to leave the house any
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Oh it make sense but she has been constantly meowing today which I was thinking maybe she is in pain
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Also is it normal for them to lose weight after birth and feeding kittens
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
is it possible for her to get pregnant again anytime soon?
They can start to cycle already. It may be that she is starting to cycle. This may also allow for more meowing too.
Feeding 6 kittens It is common to lose weight.
It is possible to have up to 3 litters a year with some cats.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Oh if rise of appetite a sign of them starting a cycle!
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is*
That is not always. She lost weight and now is tryin to recover from pregnancy, nursing and weight loss. Can take an increase in appetite to help with putting the weight back on
Any other questions I can answer for you?
We can keep this message open for some days. If more questions arise. Keep me updated.
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 6 days ago.

How are things going today?