Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 14 year old hyperactive scavenger male with a zest

I have a 14 year old hyperactive scavenger male ***** ***** with a zest for life, until 2 weeks ago. I took him to the vet with a urine leakage problem, just a few drops when he was asleep. I took a water sample to find out the level of protein indicated kidney problems. I tried to change his diet to improve his kidney function and in 2 weeks he has lost 1.4kg, along with his appetite. He is sleeping a lot but worst of all he can't keep food in. The prescription diet is so expensive.I have heard raw food diet is good. There is so much conflicting information. How can I help my bionic Jack? Loraine
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the jack. What is the jack's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: I think I put it all in the first mail. He has always had problems with his teeth and has had a few removed. He also had a biopsy done about 3 months ago when I found lumps in his throat. Tests results showed no cancer or infection.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response

You say a urine test detected kidney issues but has he had a blood test to confirm this?

If so, do you know what the kidney levels were?

Has a urinary infection been ruled out by culturing the urine?

Is he eating the new food?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No blood test done I think due to covid 19, I don't think a urine infection has been has been mentioned. I am struggling to get him to eat anything at the moment as he can't keep anything down. They have given him some tagamet syrup today.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
just typing I cant afford to pay anymore

Thank you for this.

It is important that he has a blood test, even with the new measures, this is key for ensuring we have the right diagnosis.

It may be that he is not improving as there is something else going on.

High protein may indicate kidney issues but could also be seen with a urinary infection, high blood pressure, cushings disease etc

So, first of all, I would request a blood test.

If kidney failure is confirmed, we could try some anti nausea medicine and appetite stimulants.

Dehydration is the main concern so these should help him eat and keep hydrated.

If he won't eat the kidney diet, it's best to give him an alternative as it's more important he eats something, so offer his old favourites mixed with warm water to get him interested.

Please ignore any phone call requests made- the website sends these automatically, I am happy to talk via text.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They did say he was dehydrated today. In your professional opinion would there be any benefit in changing to a raw diet? I am desperate to get him better.

No, a raw diet would not help and could be dangerous given his age and as he is currently unwell.

If he does indeed have kidney disease, the aim is to feed a low protein, low phosphorous diet as the kidneys find it hard to deal with these. Raw food would generally be too high in both of these.

For kidney disease, the best thing we can do is feed a renal diet such as Hills K/D. However, renal diets do not taste nice. If Jack refuses it, the next best thing would be senior dog food (which is lower in protein) that he likes the taste of.

The most beneficial thing would likely be anti nausea and/or appetite stimulant medicine and perhaps some time on an intravenous fluid drip. Try to get as much moisture in him as possible with wet food, adding water to food and encouraging water drinking.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you you have been most helpful. I will try to push for blood tests.