Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My puppy has been having very soft poo, not quite diarreah

My puppy has been having very soft poo, not quite diarreah but very sloppy. We already took him to the vets and they said they was nothing wrong with him but try some pro-biotics. We gave him a three day course of Pro Kolin but there’s been no change. He also drinks a lot of water but doesn’t rush to eat his food. We put his food out and it could take him upto an hour to go and eat it.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help your puppy. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Zazu
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zazu?
Customer: He’s 6 months old and his vaccinations are up to date

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response

Is Zazu gaining weight well?

How many times a day does he poo?

What food is he currently eating (please include brand name and any treats or chews)?

Does he ever eat human food?

When was he last dewormed and with what product?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He is gaining weight well and is currently around 23kg. He is eating Wainwright’s Large Breed Puppy Food (dry biscuit). He never eats human food. He was dewormed two weeks ago, I’m not sure of the brand... we order it from his vets.

Ok, that's all great.

And what breed is he?

Any other symptoms e.g vomiting, poor coat quality, bloated tummy or lethargy?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He’s an American Bully... And he sleeps most of the time

Ok, thank you.

My first suggestion would be a diet change as some dogs have sensitive stomach, something with Am Bullys are notorious for.

A good suggestion would be Hills I/D as this is suitable for all ages and sizes and is highly digestible and should help firm up stools.

The drinking is likely to make up for the water lost in the stool so is probably not concerning, but do keep an eye on this.

While he doesnt rush to eat, if he is growing well and is not under weight this wouldnt worry me.

While on a sensitivity diet, do not give any chews/treats/human food (which it sounds like you are already doing, which is great).

Do have a good check around the home and garden for anything that may be irritating his gut that he is licking/chewing such as grass, houseplant, cleaning products, carpet etc

If the issue persists, I would request a faecal analysis to check for e.g. a bacterial infection or resistant parasite, as well as a basic blood screen to ensure all is ok internally.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Would you recommend a stool firming supplement ?

Absolutely, it wouldn't do any harm and may well help.

An old favourite trick of mine is also to feed 1 TBSP of cooked pumpkin with each meal; this can help quite a lot.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help!

Not at all and please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions. All the best to Zazu!