Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Further to my previous questions riley is very lethargic and

Further to my previous questions riley is very lethargic and and has an almost vacant demeanor
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
I do apologise that your question was not answered more promptly .
How can I help with Riley?
What age and breed is he and what has been happening?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Linda riley had a right fore limb amputation about a week ago due to a peripheral nerve sheath tumour.
Oh, bless him.
Is he on any medicine?
Is he eating and drinking ok?
Does he seem settled (regular breathing and calm)?
Are his gums pink and wet?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi yes riley is eating and drinking ok he is a 10 year old labrador who before this was very lively now it's a totally different dog.I know it was a big op but it's his whole demeanor maybe I am expecting to much but it's like having a totally different dog.The meds are 300mg gabapentin three times a day and 1 prevacox he has 37 staples due to come out in about a week
Ok sure.
Absolutely it is a big operation and some depression and lethargy for a few weeks could be expected. It is a big change to get used to and he needs to relearn how to do things as before (not just walk and run but also lie down comfortably, sleep etc)
Neither previcox nor gabapentin should cause lethargy. These medicines together provide moderate pain relief and I would question if he needs further pain medicine and if perhaps this is the roure of the lethargy. It may be worth requesting some further medicine e.g. buperenorphine or tramadol, to add to what he is currently taking.
Try to take his mind off things with tasty food puzzles e.g. a Kong layered with peanut butter, sweet potato and kibble, a lick Matt smeared with cream cheese etc.
While he may not be up for much exercise, we still want to keep that brain active.
If he seems at all depressed or anxious, I would also consider an Adaptil plug in and some calming supplements e.g. Zylkene while he recovers.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Linda thankyou for your reply I have an appointment with my local vet next week I will ask about additional meds.Thank you again you have been very helpful
Regards Steve