Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Our cat is pulling out clumps of fur from his centre back.

Our cat is pulling out clumps of fur from his centre back. He also reacts slightly strangely when stroked there. He is on Advantage flea treatment - he is an ex-stray outdoor cat but now spends most of his time inside, we have a lot of wildlife in the garden- squirrels/ foxes/ badgers/ other neighbourhood cats etc. We use feliway diffusers as well. Thank you
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Yoda & we think he is about 2.5 years old - he turned up as a stray but that’s our vets best estimate
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Yoda
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Yoda?
Customer: No
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
The most common cause of this behaviour (by far) would be a flea allergic dermatitis.
This is the case, even in those routinely treated and even in those who we do not see any fleas on. This is because we can still get fleas for several reasons: They can become resistant if we use the same product each time. If present in large numbers, 1 or 2 can slip through the net. If other animals and the home are not treated, there may still be a few fleas about.
Hence, I would recommend we use a strong product such as Advocate, treat any other pets, hot wash bedding, hoover daily and use a spray such as Indorex. This routine needs to be done for 3 months to ensure we completely eliminate any flea burden.
(1 of 2)
Some cats also need anti itch injections to break the itch scratch cycle,and antibiotics if the skin is broken and infected. These would need to be prescribed by your dedicated vet.
Another possibility would be mites/mange, and Advocate would treat this while Advantage does not.
Other possibilities include environmental and food allergies,bacterial and fungal infections etc. but these are far less common than flea allergies and should only be investigated if flea allergy dermatitis has been ruled out.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. We took him to the vet at the end Of Feb which is when he identified that there was an active flea problem (previously we were using Frontline which evidently wasn’t working) so he has only been on Advantage since then. We treated the whole house/ hot washed all bedding etc then. He doesn’t appear to have any flea dirt and it does just seem to be this one spot. Am i able to buy Advocate without going into the vet?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The skin is not broken either. Should I treat the house again & should I keep doing so and if so how frequently (the spray/ powder/ foggers we used said that they worked for up to a year). Many thanks
With that in mind, I think we are definitely dealing with a flea allergy dermatitis until proven otherwise.
Advocate is prescription only so you would need to get this from your dedicated vet.
Yes, the house should be treated the same time you treat him and I would then hoover daily and hot wash bedding and blankets he uses every few days, for at least a couple of weeks.
Most sprays do have a duration of a year but do check the label.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much. I’ll phone them after the bank holiday. Have a lovely weekend