Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My dog has just got up and started to fall to the side, his

My dog has just got up and started to fall to the side, his back legs seem to be giving way
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Mckenzie hes 12 yrs ild
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mckenzie?
Customer: About 2 weeks ago i bayhed him and when washing his rear his back legs gave way but then hes been fine since
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Have you got an answer to my dogs problem please
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can you please answer me please

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear this. Could you tell me if he has any abnormal eye movement that you can see (such as side to side flickering)? Also has he had any vomiting?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No neither
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No dont want a phone call

OK. One possibility is that he is experiencing an attack of 'vestibular syndrome' although he does not exhibit the characteristic eye movement. Arthritic pain or spinal disease would be other possibilities. Can he stand at the moment at all?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hes standing and walking now hes just been in garden but hes walking around the garden wall round and round,hes done this 5 times in a row hes never ever done that before, i asked him to come in and he just sat on the drive sitting up but looking asleep.. we have carries him in the house

OK. A stroke like episode or TIA is a distinct possibility here, this is similar to vestibular disease but affecting the forebrain.

If he is settled and not distressed then keeping him quite, calm and somewhere he cannot hurt himself would be ideal until you can get him checked over by your vet to hopefully exclude other potential causes for his behaviour such as a spinal lesion.

If her seems to deteriorate further or becomes unable to stand at all then a visit to the vets this evening would be advisible.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thank you for your advice

You're welcome. Please feel free to keep me updated.