BestFriendsVet
BestFriendsVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  In small animal practice since 2003
24117175

I have a 13 year old choc lab, she is totally fit & healthy

I have a 13 year old choc lab, she is totally fit & healthy normally, but recently when out walking she wants to walk & run, but after 100 yards she starts to wheeze & by 200 yards shes wheezing so badly that shes hardly breathing. It sounds like an asthma attack. She still wants to go out for her walk, but we're now worried about taking her
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the lab?
Customer: I don't thinks, no, she's fit & healthy in every way, apart from this & is still extremely excited & eager to get out. Thank you
Hi, it's Dr. Vaino. I'm sorry to hear this, because yes, this is serious, especially in a 13yr old labrador.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is there anything that we can do, or should we just stop exercising her?
I would definitely stop exercising her, and get her in to see her vet as soon as possible. This is a serious problem.
Especially because she is doing well otherwise. Her vet needs to take some blood and chest xrays on this old girl so that we can find out what is wrong, and help her. She is not going to be happy unable to take a walk. :(
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** get her the vets asap. Thanks for your help. She will definitely be very miserable & frustrated without her walk. We're worried about the strain it will put on her heart, not being able to breathe properly, so will maybe just take her for drives & very little walks until we get her in the vets. Thanks
Please let me know what they say after the visit. Some of the things that I was thinking about in an older Labrador are laryngeal paralysis, heart condition, or even God forbid cancer, with growth in the lungs. Hopefully this is something not too bad. But you should expect a set of chest x-rays and a blood panel.
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen. Such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers, and it is the only way for me to receive any compensation from this website. Rating me now does not close your question; it stays open for 14 days and we can continue here until you are satisfied! Simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks~