Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She is an 8week old puppy, we picked her up last Wednesday.

Customer Question

She is an 8week old puppy, we picked her up last Wednesday. The first few days she was fine however the last 24/48hrs has seen her have sickness and diarrhea. She hasn't eaten anything today and yesterday she had small amounts of chicken and rice, Sunday she didn't eat very much. She has been drinking water however today she hasn't drank that much. She has had her 1st set of injections and due 2nd set next week. She is really lathargic and not really moved all day today. I'm now really worried as she has lost weight and is now quite skinny,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: It started Sunday evening/Monday morning, her nose can be cold 1 minute then warm the next. When she ate the chicken and rice yesterday she was quite bouncy and up to her usual cheeky self, however today we can't get her to eat the chicken she loved yesterday
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 20 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case. Have there been any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications currently on?The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. It is just sent out automatically. However, if you wish to keep typing. We can message all here.I am here to provide as much relevant information and guidance that I can, but I am unable to legally prescribe medications or make a final diagnosis. Any recommendations I make will be limited by lack of a physical examination. In many cases I may end up recommending your pet to be seen by a veterinarian for further assistance or you may still wish to have a physical examination with a veterinarian at a clinic.If you can send pictures to review it will be most helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No medical health problems that we know of, we've only had her a week. The breeder said she was vet checked and was healthy. Eating, she has stopped eating today, she had chicken and rice yesterday but won't eat anything today. Drinking she has been drinking water but only small amounts. Urine had gone yellow and rather smelly but now its back to clear. Her defacating is loose and a yellow colour like mustard but no lumps or black tar and no blood. She's on no medication. She is 8 week old
Are the gums pale or pink ? Any tenderness to the abdomen?
When Intake is down. Can offer milk, yogurt, warmed canned food, meat, fish or eggs also to stimulate intake
The GI tract is full of bacteria, there is the normal flora and at times this flora can alternate not the most normal flora, when this happens the stools can get loose. Changes in diet, stress, etc. all can have an effect on the harmony in the GI tract. Leading to looser stools. The following can help the GI tract to feel better also.Psyllium (active ingredient in Metamucil ) can be added at a rate of 1 tsp/10 pounds twice a day to the food. This will add fiber and will be soothing to the lining of the intestinal tract also.