Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We have just come in from a walk with my dog and he is

Customer Question

hi we have just come in from a walk with my dog and he is limping and constantly licking his paw cant see no blood or anything
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: hes a 2 year old French bulldog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is panting a lot too
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.

If he had no lameness before and there was no fall or incident on the walk he most likely has something in the paw (such as a thorn or grass blade) or has perhaps grazed or scalded his pad.

Is he able to put any weight on it?

It's important you have a good look, checking for any split or broken claws, using a strong light source and magnifying glass to assess for anything stuck in the pad or between the toes, and checking along the toes for anything abnormal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as we can see there is nothing but he is hardly putting any weight on it hes really lame on it

Ok, sure.

If he is very unsettled and you feel he is in pain and would not be able to sleep, it may well be best to have him examined if you are unable to find the source of the issue.

It could be that there is something there (such as a piece of glass or grass seed) or that he has perhaps sustained an injury.

At a minimum, we can feel reassured he has been checked and have the option of giving pain relief if needed.

The alternative would be to allow him to rest and STOP all licking by providing a buster collar. However, if there is no improvement by the morning or he becomes distressed, he will need to be seen.

Hello, how is your French getting on now?

Hi there, just checking in for the final time as this question remains open and unrated. How is your dog? Can I be of any further help?