Laura Henderson
Laura Henderson,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Robb Veterinary Clinic
63061945

He has a sensitive gut. Sadly he got to the rubbish bin and

Customer Question

He has a sensitive gut. Sadly he got to the rubbish bin and left some left over beef which has made him sick He had this previously and the vet gave him pro kolin and an anti sickness. I was wondering if it would be possible again without an appointment
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Rottweiler dog only 2 years old
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Rottweiler?
Customer: He is being sick and has diarrhoea for the past 2 days.
JA: Where does the Rottweiler seem to hurt?
Customer: He is not hurting I have felt his stomach and he is fine for me to touch.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the Rottweiler's name?
Customer: Teddy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teddy?
Customer: No other then sensitive belly he is healthy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you paid the required amount
Expert:  Laura Henderson replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I am Laura, one of the UK vets.

Prokolin is non-prescription so you should be able to phone and get this from your vets without an appointment. The anti-sickness medications are prescription only so you'd need to be seen for that.

Is he eating any food at the moment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he is off his food. Is there anything I can give him for him to stop being sick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a very scared dog and hates the vets

You could maybe given him some ranitidine indigestion medicine. The trade name is ***** ***** often get generics in the supermarkets on the aisles. Do you know what weight he is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 59kg

Ok. Ranitidine comes in 75mg tablets from supermarkets. He would need three tablets twice daily for a few days.

If he is still bright and bouncy I would withold food for a day, if you haven't already, to let his stomach settle, and give him small amounts of room temperature water at a time.

If he is withdrawn and lethargic, it may be better to see your vet tomorrow.

You can get tablets for him to take that make him a bit happier about vet visits we tend to use them for aggressive dogs because most of them are frightened rather than bad, but we use them for very nervous dogs too. You could see if your vet would dispense any for you to make it easier to get Teddy in.