Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

It’s an African grey, well. She has mucus discharge from her

Customer Question

Hi. It’s an African grey
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the gray?
Customer: well. She has mucus discharge from her nose. I brought her yesterday off an adoption agency. And they told me she has been vet checked more than once, has had all the tests done. And she’s fine. It’s just something she does? But I find that a bit strange
JA: Where does the gray seem to hurt?
Customer: she doesn’t hurt Everything is fine with her. She just produces nasal discharge. A clear one. Mucus like
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the gray's name?
Customer: i haven’t named her yet. But the agency named her bubbles. For obvious reasons could I somehow video call you and show you?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bubbles?
Customer: Hmmm. Not really. Everything else seems okay. Just the nasal discharge
Expert:  Edele Grey replied 1 year ago.

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet.

Please ignore any requests for a phone call as the website sends these automatically. Unfortunately, we cannot take video-calls at this time.

I have a few questions about Bubbles to help me best advise you.

What age is Bubbles roughly?

Did they tell you that she's had this discharge before?

Is there any smell?

How is Bubbles behaving/eating/pooping etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She’s between 8-10 years old.They have told me she has had this discharge since day one!There is no small!I’ve only had her a day. She’s behaving and eating like a normal parrot would do. And the poop is green and white. Doesn’t seem like anything abnormal. I cannot see any other physical symptoms or discomfort. Apart from the runny nose itself
Expert:  Edele Grey replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** color in her poop, is it dark or very bright?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It’s dark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One second
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ll send you a photo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Edele Grey replied 1 year ago.

That's perfect thank you. There are a few things that could cause this but if it's intermittent, clear, and watery (as you've said, she's already had a complete veterinary check over) it's most likely a normal thing for her.

At the moment I would advise just monitoring her if it remains this way but she's acting completely normal then it's nothing to really be concerned about.

If it becomes thicker, changes color, starts to smell, or she starts to show any signs of illness (lethargy, not eating etc) then that would be an indication of something going on like a respiratory infection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! And so, if, god willing, it’s is just a normal thing for her. Is there anyway I could fix it at all?
Expert:  Edele Grey replied 1 year ago.

If it's normal for her, the best thing to help reduce it is to ensure she's in a well ventilated, non-dusty area if possible and has plenty of room to shake out her wings and preen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant! Thank you. Could any changes to the diet improve the situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because it does bother me a lot
Expert:  Edele Grey replied 1 year ago.

Providing her with a well balanced diet with occasional treats and ensuring she's getting enough vitamins and minerals (feeding commercial pellets are best as a seed-based diet isn't balanced) then you will be protecting her immune system but it may not reduce the discharge.

If you're concerned due to volume/duration etc you can always contact your local vet to have a swab taken for microbiology (virus/bacteria/fungi) or an x-ray of her skull to see if there is any fluid within her sinuses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right! Thank you so much!!!
Expert:  Edele Grey replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, you can return here if you have any queries over the next few days, even after accepting the answer.

Please consider rating the service you've received today.

Have a lovely evening.