Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

Iam old and my husband is disabled ..his dog a Staffordshire

Hello Iam old and my husband is disabled ..his dog a Staffordshire Bull terrier has a cyst like in between his toes ...can I get free treatment for him ..he is sadly not insured ..as we could not afford
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier's name and age?
Customer: My dog has a cyst like in appearance on one of his foot ...I am a senior citizen and my dog unfortunately not insured ...where can I get treatment for him ...free of charge ?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your Staffordshire Bull Terrier?
Customer: No not really he is a lovely dog with no problems ..suddenly since last Sunday I noticed a little ooze like fluid on his bed ...he is not distressed ...but when I looked it was red and inflamed ...I called local vets but all busy and expensive ...I have a severely disabled husband ..however Alfie our dog is very precious to us too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet.

Please ignore any requests for a phone call as the website sends these automatically.

Would you be able to send me some photos of Alfie's lump please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not very internet literate ..however Alfie looks fine except his foot does not look too good ...he is about 12 years old .

That's no problem, is he licking it a lot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adele I wanted advice about charities who can help with his medical ptoblem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am anA/E retired Nurse and to me it looks like a cyst that needs to be seen investigated and treated

Veterinary care can be expensive, I've included links to both the blue cross and PDSA for you to check if there is a mobile/clinic near you.

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/ - you can click on the am I eligible button and it will take you to a form to complete. Blue cross also does some mobile clinics which may be the fastest way for you to have him looked at.

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/eligibility - you can fill in your postcode here and they will tell you of a clinic nearby.

In the meantime you can gently bathe it in salt water (half tsp per mug of boiled cooled water) and pat it dry. Avoid putting cream on it for the moment but to prevent him from licking it you can pop a sock on Alfie's leg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they charge these mobile clinics and are they working presently ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just plaid £5 to get such help ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I have normal saline I have cleaned and dressed it ....bandaged it as when he is walking ..he is making it bleed .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have dogs pain analgesia ... what can I give him that human take?

The mobile clinics do charge for some services and request contributions as they are a charity. The mobile clinics were closed in March 2020 due to COVID-19, however, they will be opening on a phased basis. You can also check on the site to see if Blue Cross has a physical building near you that you may be able to make an appointment with.

The PDSA has a nominal charge for their services but you must be within a certain distance so the website will be able to tell you where your nearest would be. The PDSA are currently only accepting emergency cases, however if you speak with some of your local practices there may be some charitable organisations that can help you with veterinary fees (eg Thames Valley in Reading)

Yes, Alfie can receive some paracetamol. What weight is he approximately? I will calculate a dose for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh dear he is a big boy ..I do not know his weight
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anything stronger than paracetamol

That's ok, is he a strong staffie? is he carrying any extra weight?

No, paracetamol is all that's available. It's actually a stronger pain killer in dogs that in us humans.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adele where are you based?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think

Im based in Northamptonshire

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a bit chubby
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Too far away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tell you the truth I think he is in trouble ..may be cyst ..may be a carcinoma..I hope not ..but the appearance is really worrying me .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is very loved

Ok, he's probably around 20kg weight.

If you have calpol 6+ (red bottle) he can have 4ml of that twice per day with a little food.

If you have the 500mg tablets his dose is just under a half tablet twice per day with a little food.

He can have these for 3-4 days initially. Stop if he starts to vomit or have diarrhoea.

Hopefully, it's just a cyst, unfortunately, given his age we need to be a little concerned about some sinister problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, you can return to this chat window even after accepting/rating the answer over the next few days and I'll do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adele money is problem for me retired and caring privately for a very sick disabled husband ....do you think I can get treatment for him without having to fork out money ido not have.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any definite places that can provide free care other than some Blue cross clinics and I'm not fully sure of the PDSA's pricing policy as there isn't one near where I am so I've not referred to them as yet.