Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

I am looking for an avian veterinary for an option. I have

Hi. I am looking for an avian veterinary for an option.
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: I have some problems with an 4 months old chicken.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the chicken?
Customer: We have been yesterday with her at the vet. She was starting to look week and fluffed and she have watery droppings. The vet told me to put her to sleep because she is very skinny
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the chicken. What is the chicken's name?
Customer: The vet excluded something viral or bacterial she thinks it might be genetic. I started feeding her from yesterday. She drinks by herself. I started giving her probiotics, vitamins, a tonic but not much changed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the chicken?
Customer: I have her for about a week, the other 3 are looks good . The are fully vaccinated and dewormed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know what can be the cause and what should I do? It's hard to find an avian vet. And the prices for just an injection are insane.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (6L4LPL4)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached the consultation from yesterday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is currently inside in a worm place. Now after feeding I can feel her crop but she is till the same size like last night. The bred is araucana...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The diet consists in organic layer pellets and some treats for chickens.

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet.

Please ignore any requests for a phone call as the website sends these automatically.

I'm reviewing your query and will be in contact in a few moments.

I have some questions to help me best advise you about Coco.

Is Coco from the same hatch as her companions?

Has Coco always been a little smaller than the others?

If not, when did you notice her getting weak etc?

Is she eating by herself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We bought 2 marans and 2 araucanas. The other araucana is the same batch and looking good.
I bought them almost 2 weeks ago. I let them run free, she was a bit skinny but I thought maybe she is younger. I noticed that she is feeling poorly 2 days ago.
She tries to eat by herself but she can't. I hand feed her from yesterday. She drinks by herself.

When you hand feed her, has she a good appetite?

Have they received any worm treatments recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she tries to eat. I feed her organic layer pellets. And vitamins and probiotics in water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought these to deworm them. The seller told me that they are dewormed and vaccinated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Maine concern is the watery droppings that stinks. She didn't stopped. It has no blood or mucus in it.

Thank you, ***** ***** a couple of things that may be causing this. As she's vaccinated and none of the others are affected, that would reduce the risk of it being salmonella or some other contagious causes. She's also a little old for coccidiosis (though it's not impossible).

When hand feeding her, do you notice a bad smell from her breath or any white dots in her mouth?

What color is her diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her mouth seems ok and not smelling bad. But I saw that I can't open the break too much...just a little.

One last question, what color is her diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Green and very watery

Thank you. There are a few things that could cause this with kidney disease (likely she would have been born with this) or Newcastle disease (which is a reportable disease) being the most serious for the bird.

I would advise that you speak with your vet about either testing or treating her for coccidiosis.

You're descriptions sound very similar to that (even though she is a little older, we can see it in chickens over 3months if they have a compromised immune system). Coccidiosis doesn't always cause bloody diarrhea, nor is it always contagious.

Treatment for coccidiosis is toltrazuril (Baycox) which is given in water over two consecutive days. It's not an organic product, however, it is the only licensed and clinically proven treatment for the disease. As she is 4 months old, once the withdrawal periods have been observed she could still return to an organic flock.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I have just made an appointment with an expert in exotic birds and birds to see her later today. I will discuss also what you told me.
Many thanks.

You're welcome. Hopefully, it's treatable and she is back to herself soon.

If you have any further queries or concerns you can return to this chat window, even after accepting/rating the answer.

Have a lovely day, good luck!