Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

I have a hamster and he cant eat ... I put some water on

Customer Question

Hi I have a hamster and he cant eat ... I put some water on some cheerios last night and he would eat them off a spoon ... he is losing weight and is desperate to eat what can I do he cant just live on cheerios ??
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Alvin and he is old inbetweeners 2-3 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Alvin?
Customer: He is also losing his hair under his chin ... he wants to eat and is frantic but cant bite through his food
Expert:  Edele Grey replied 1 year ago.

You're through to Dr. Edele, a vet in the UK.

Please ignore any requests for a phone call as the website sends these automatically.

I have some questions to help me best advise you about Alvin.

When did this start with Alvin?

Can Alvin close his mouth properly?

How long are Alvin's front teeth?

Is he able to put food in his pouches?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant open his mouth to see ... all I know is he wants to ear he holds it next to his mouth and is frantically trying to bite the food but nothing comes off
Expert:  Edele Grey replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** you're given has me wondering if he may have some dental disease which is preventing him from opening and closing his mouth properly or if he has lost his front teeth he may not be able to properly bite off pieces. Another possibility is as he's a little older that he has either a growth in his mouth or that he may have some arthritis (pain) in his jaw.

You can offer him softened food at the moment (soaked cheerios, pellets etc). Is he able to drink?