Laura Henderson
Laura Henderson,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Robb Veterinary Clinic
63061945

He has got really sore ears! Red and inflamed and itchy,

He has got really sore ears! Red and inflamed and itchy
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: He’s a pug
JA: What is the pug's name and age?
Customer: He’s called Frank, he’s about 4. He weighs about 11kg
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frank?
Customer: He had a spinal op at willows around 12 weeks ago, but fully recovered and back to his normal self. But since has had very itchy skin all over and ears are now really sore. I have been cleaning with otodine ear solution

Good morning, I am Laura, one of the UK vets.

Poor Frank. The ears and the skin will be linked. Have you any medication left over from previous issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nothing he’s never really had many problems with skin before. He had a bath about a week ago, but didn’t help. Just really worried about his ears because they are sore now as he keeps scratching
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All that I have is the cleaning solution
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (16MT1Q2)

Unfortunately I can't do phone calls right now, but your request is in the Request Centre for another vet to pick up if they can.

If the ears are red and itchy unfortunately the only thing that is going to help them settle down is a medicated drop with some steroid in it. These are all prescription only, so you'll need to go to your vet for those. I'd give them a call.

Meanwhile if he is really sore you can give him a quarter of a human paracetamol tablet (they're almost always 500mg).

In the long term if he continues with the itchy skin and recurring ear infections, I would be looking for an underlying allergy. Ear problems are very commonly food allergies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping I could get prescription as I can’t get appointment at my vets for nearly a week

Ouch, those ears look sore. I can see the thickening and cobbling of the skin inside the ear flap - again this would point me at a dietary allergy.

Unfortunately due to UK prescribing laws I can't prescribe anything for you online, I'd have to have seen your pup first at some point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok no problem I will try and get an appointment at vets thankyou

I hope you get one. Even if they can't give you drops ask if they could give you a few days of steroid tablets until they can see him.

Any further issues, you can post in here, this thread will remain open for a few days.

Thanks!

Laura