Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 2 year old Beagle, who is generally healthy, except

Hello :) I have a 2 year old Beagle, who is generally healthy, except she was put on a prescription diet when she was 8 months old due to crystals in her urine. This morning I expressed her anal glands because I noticed her scooting in the garden (she gets impacted from time to time), and the fluid that came out was pale yellow. Usually it is brown. She seems well in herself, and I havent noticed anything else unsual. Is this a cause for concern or just a normal variation?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the beagle?
Customer: No
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
Actually, in any one dog , fluid can be yellow, light brown, dark brown, granular and anything inbetween.
I would not be worried assuming there was no blood and they emptied fully and easily and the scooting has now settled.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! The scooting seems to have stopped completely. Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?
Ensure the poo is solid and at least daily as sometimes the glands fill more regularly when not emptied by a solid, daily poo.
Do also ensure there is no 'drip' of fluid when she is sitting down (you will smell it!).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you!
Not at all!
Please don't forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen. Thank you and have a lovely day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, one more question. If she does drip when sitting down would it be fluid from the anal glands? I have a crawling baby in the house, would it be dangerous for him?
If you see a stain that is yellow/brown and it smells like fish, this would most likely be anal gland fluid. It would pose the same risk as anything that contains bacteria e.g. a poo stain, so it's all about good hygiene.
A more clear stain that smells like ammonia is likely urine, obviously if she has diarrhoea you could get a poo stain, while if she has mud or dirt on her fur, this would also be a consideration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you :)