Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My rescue girl dog Maia has just vomited small amount of

Hi, my rescue girl dog Maia has just vomited small amount of light brown stuff, which looked like remains of her breakfast (dry food). I noticed she had been eating some grass during the walk. Looks like she’s having some digestive issue? Anything particular we should do to help her? Thank you.

You're through to Dr. Edele.

Sorry to hear Maia is feeling unwell.

How is Maia in herself (dull, quiet, happy and bright)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She’s only been with us for a week so her true personally is yet to appear. She’s usually very quiet, but today even more so I think. But nothing major to note.

That's ok. You can monitor her for the moment as it may just be a little upset tummy from the change in circumstances for her etc.

Don't feed her for a few hours to let her tummy rest. You can feed her some bland food, later on, a small amount of plain boiled chicken or scrambled egg (no milk) with rice or sweet potato. If she isn't ill after that she can have a little more an hour later.

If she continues to vomit through the afternoon/evening then don't feed her tonight at all. Keep an eye on her to make sure she's drinking (you can offer her some of the chicken broth cooled down as it's a little more appetizing than plain water).

Signs that it may be something more serious would be if she keeps vomiting despite no more food, if she can't keep water down or if she becomes dull and depressed. If these signs occur then you should make an appointment with your vet as she may need some anti-sickness medication.

If she has possibly eaten part of one of her toys or a bone etc then having her checked over by your vet is a good idea to be sure something didn't get stuck in her intestine or stomach.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She’s due to have dinner in a few hours, so I will prep boiled chicken and rice. I will monitor her tonight to see how it goes ... I have registered her online with a local vet but they haven’t got back to me yet. I will need to sort that too. Thank you for your advice.

That's no problem. If you have any other questions you can return here this evening/tomorrow (even after accepting the answer) and I'll do my best to help. I should be available here until around 9pm tonight and from around 5am in the morning. Hopefully, it's just a once-off and she'll be showing her personality very soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That’s great, thank you so much. I came across this website by chance, so glad I did! She’s quiet, almost timid, but we think it’s because she probably had tough time growing up and also may be naturally shy. Lacks in confidence too. Right now we are focusing on making her feel safe with us. I am really hoping in a few weeks’ time she will come out of her shell! Thank you again for your advice and I will be in touch if necessary.

You're welcome! :)