Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My lab is losing discharge after finishing her season, I

my lab is losing discharge after finishing her season
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the lab?
Customer: I have noticed some discharge, she has just been in season is this normal
JA: Where does the lab seem to hurt?
Customer: the discharge is coming from her vulva
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: no only the yellow discharge
JA: Is the lab eating normally?
Customer: she is usually off her food when in season
JA: OK, abnormal eating. What is the lab's name and age?
Customer: Holly 3yrs
JA: How old is Holly?
Customer: 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Holly?
Customer: no

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

How long has it been since Holly's heat period ended, please? If a few weeks to a few months, I need to consider that you're seeing the pus of purulent endometriosis (pyometra).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one week

Thank you. Please have Holly's vet perform cytology (microscopic exam of the discharge) to see if it represents the pus of pyometra or, instead, the normal discharge of diestrus - the stage of her heat period following estrus in which small amounts of mucoid vulvar discharge may be present. A complete blood count (CBC) can be helpful in this regard. Pyometra would be expected to cause a significant increase in the white blood cell count. Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
took holly to vet and was told she needed to have emergency op as ultra sound showed a larger than normal uterus , no other tests done.

Oh my. It sounds as if her vet is convinced that Holly's uterine enlargement indicates pyometra. I assume that fluid (pus) was seen inside the uterus as well. Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there was no fluid found either outside or inside of uterus at the time of seeing the vet, she said that she would not be able to tell if it was pyometra unless Holly had an operation to remove her womb and that it was an emergency and needed to be done on that day as she could die if I leave it over the weekend.

Ah! Was surgery performed? If so, what was found?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put my faith in the vet, I was terrified of losing Holly. I drove home in tears , I hadn't reached home before receiving a call from the vet to inform me that she could not operate as Holly has got a heart murmur. She said that I had to take her back on the Mon to have a heart scan. I returned for Holly and she had been given an antibiotic injection plus an anti sickness injection , when I asked why the vet said she had got her mixed up with the dog she had seen before Holly, but added that she would probably be feeling sick anyway. I paid £249 . I spent all weekend in fear that Holly may die. on the Monday I took Holly for her heart scan , it was a different vet that performed the heart scan , she called me later in the day and told me that she found no heart murmur . She also scanned Hollys uterus again and found nothing of any concern, she ran blood tests and found no infection of any kind. I was charged another £450. I was so glad that Holly was well, but feel that I have been taken advantage of.

I understand your feelings at this time. If you can't receive satisfaction from Holly's attending vets, contact peer review for the local veterinary association who will adjudicate your complaint. If the vets don't belong to the local veterinary association, contact the UK veterinary association.

Disclaimer: I was head of peer review for my local association. I'm not allowed to adjudicate through this venue.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand and thankyou so for speaking with me

Thank you for your understanding and kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience - even after rating.