Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

He is limping and just found out there is a bruise on his

Hi, he is limping and just found out there is a bruise on his right back leg
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A 5 year old cat
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: He had a crossed ligaments surgery in October last year, and he came from Romania last Saturday night! Just saw the bruise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, any updates?
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear this.
Bruising is actually really uncommon in cats as their skin is much thicner than ours so it typically indicates significant damage such as from a high fall or car accident.
The risk is that the lameness is just the tip of the iceberg and we may have internal damage such as a punctured lung of internal bleeding.
I would be very keen for a full check over and it may even be necessary to take a quick xray.
I suspect he will need some pain relief and anti inflammatory medicine as a minimum.
Despite lockdown, vets are still seeing urgent cases such as this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Called the vet, she said to monitor him, other than the bruising everything is fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The limping is because of the trauma he had with the surgery and everything but the bruise is what worries me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I am worried because the costs might be huge to treat him and we might not be able to afford it
I understand.
Are there any other signs of bleeding e.g. pale gums, bloodshot eyes or swelling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other signs of bleeding, he seems fine and normal except the bruise on the leg and the limping
Ok, sure.
If the limping is normal for him we could monitor for any of the signs mentioned above or further bruising.
If the bruise spread or there is any deterioration, I would not delay a vet visit and would also consider some blood tests to ensure his red cell count is ok.
A consult and basic test should not be too expensive (perhaps about £100 - £150 total).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I can see since last night there has not been any spread! He looks fine, already booked an appointment for Tuesday the earliest and a specialist will see him. Do you know any vets that accepts payment plans? i am only asking becauseI want to be prepared in case they say we need surgery
Unfortunately it is not routinely done and, if it is, it would be at the vets discretion. Certainly, do ask, but it would not be commonly done.
Would you quality for any of the charity vets eg RSPCA or PDSA?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know if I qualify, I am not sure, I can ask them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how much a surgery might cost on an average for example he had surgery for crossed ligaments
It is so variable I really couldnt say. It depends on many factors including the surgeons experience, the length of stay in hospital, UK location, cats weight etc etc. In my experience, an orthopaedic surgery for a cat can be anything between £600 and £4000.
For some, when a specialised surgery is not an option, they may choose amputation if the leg is causing poor quality of life and is not improving with rest and anti inflammatory medicine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answers, is there anything I can do until the appointment at home for him, try and make the bruise go away in any way?
No, it is just about letting the body heal.
Do keep him inside and rested (no jumping, running, stairs etc)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is an indoor cat, never left him outside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He eats normally and sleeps a lot as he did before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also he sleeps on that side of the body and does not show any signs of pain
That's all reassuring and I would continue monitoring him closely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that untill tuesday
Oh bless him, he's lovely!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is my baby! I love him so much and I feel like I am dying every time I see the bruise I do not want him to suffer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In this picture he is sleeping on the right side which has the bruise so I am guessing if it would have been
Very painful he would not sleep on that side
Most likely, yes, although I am sure it is tender to some degree.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is becausehe does not let us touch him rightin the centre of the bruise but there is no bad reaction from him just that he gets the leg away and move so we would stop