Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

I can’t seem to get the vivariums temperature spot on? Do

I can’t seem to get the vivariums temperature spot on? Do you have any advice?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Female cornsnake
JA: What is the corn snake's name and age?
Customer: Banana, aged roughly 2
JA: What is the corn snake's name?
Customer: Banana
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Banana?
Customer: Nope only that I’ve only had her a few days

You’re through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet.
What heating methods are you using?

What is the temperature range you’re achieving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m was using a heat mat which was supplied with the set up, however it just didn’t feel warm enough so I’ve switched out to a ceramic lamp which seems to be working better, however I feel like I’m adjusting the thermostat nearly every hour to keep the temperature within the right parameters. I have the thermostat probe on the aspen flooring of the viv to monitor the base temp, and then two humidity and temp thermometers secured to the walls of each end to read the air temp of both the hot and cool end. Attached is a photo of the set up.
Thank you, ***** ***** ranges are you managing to get? Can you get it stable at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thermostat is currently set to 28.5 and it crawls up to 29.5, then dips to 27.5 and then triggers itself on again. The hot end thermometer reads anything from 29.5 to 31.5 Celsius with 38%-43% humidity and the cool end reads from 26-27.5°c with 48%-53% humidity
Ok thanks, ***** ***** end should read between 20-24c and the basking end 28-40c. Minor temp variations that you’re describing are fairly normal, it’s impossible to get it perfectly sitting at one temp.
You want your humidity between 40-50%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you so much!
Sorry, I just saw a typo in my answer. The basking end should be 28-30c (not 40)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I did think so lol, thanks for your help!
You’re welcome! If you have any other queries, you can return to this chat even after accepting/rating. Corn snakes are great pets, enjoy 😊