Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Dog, Lethargic, Lame back end, Small dog, dachshund

Customer Question

Dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Lethargic
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lame back end
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Small dog, dachshund
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
How long has this been going on and did it come on suddenly?
Dachshunds are notorious for back issues, especially intervetebral disc disease (ivdd) which can present as sudden lameness/weakness or paralysis as well as pain and/or lethargy.
If this is the case (and we need to rule it in or out) the sooner treatment is instigated the better the prognosis. With minor injuries, most dogs simply require a course of anti inflammatory medicine and strict rest but it's essential we assess for nerve damage. It is also key we provide pain relief asap.
Due to this, the sooner your dog is seen the better. Despite lockdown, vets are still seeing urgent cases such as this.

Hello, how is your dog getting on?