Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has been very sick overnight, is there anything I can

My dog has been very sick overnight, is there anything I can do for him. He usually goes for a walk with my other dog, should we leave him behind. Is not interested in any food or treats(just testing) because he's normally very greedy. Should I take him to the vet ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: He' name is ***** *****'s 18 months old and very overweight.
JA: The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rolo?
Customer: No I don't think so he is very bossy to the more subdued one and as I said extremley greedy. He's a very large Yorkie
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear this.
Any chance he has eaten something he shouldnt e.g. a toy, bone or rich, human food?
Was there any blood in the vomit?
Any diarrhoea?
Are his gums still pink and wet?
Finally, does the other dog seem well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His gums are o.k, we were in my daughters garden yesterday and there are all sorts of things but as he is nervous of her dogs he spent a lot of time on my lap, but we walked in the field next door which had old cow poo in and I did catch him trying to eat that once or twice, his vomit was yellow and with food in but nothing unusual but he won't go for his usual walk and does keep trying to go to the loo.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other dog is well but quiet
Ah ok, so he may well have developed a bacterial infection from the cow poo.
Dogs do have acidic stomachs and can generally tolerate things like this, but it would bot be exceptional for him to get ill after this.
It's possible we can manage him at home with frequent meals of chicken and rice, plenty of water and some probiotic paste e.g. Protexin Prokolin BUT if it is an option to bring him to the vet this would be for the best.
This is because it provides an opportunity to check him all over, assess his hydration, ensure there is no abdominal tension, check for a fever etc.
It also means we can administer antibiotics and/or an anti sickness injection if necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I'll get him to the vets. Thanks for the information.
Not at all and please do feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have been to vets for check, temp high side of normal given painkillers and antibiotics, may possibly have mild pancreitis ? Is this treatable and to do with him being v overweight /
Thank you for this update.
It is absolutely treatable but sometimes dogs need to be hospitalised and put on a drip with strong pain relief if it gets worse.
It is most common in overweight dogs and can occur 2dry to fatty foods so many dogs are well managed on a low fat diet long term to prevent future episodes.