Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

There is a badly injured pigeon in my garden I think

There is a badly injured pigeon in my garden I think attacked by cat or magpie. I'm elderly and live alone. What can I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the pigeon?
Customer: I don't know. The gaRDEN IS FULL OF FEATHERS AND i'VE ONLY JUST FOUND THE BIRD ROUND THE CORNER OF THE HOUSE. iT'S SITTING MOTIONLESS, WITH A WOUND TO ITS HEAD AND SIDE.
JA: Is the pigeon bleeding a lot?
Customer: No
JA: Phew. What is the pigeon's name and age?
Customer: Haven't the remotest idea. There are a lot of pigeons in the garden and they use the bird bath, which was knocked over.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pigeon?
Customer: Look, I just found an injured bird and hoped you could help! Obviously I know nothing about a wild bird!

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

I'm sorry to hear this. Do you have somebody that could take the bird to a local veterinary practice for you? A neighbour or family member perhaps? It sounds like the bird is badly injured and sadly unlikely to survive, however a vets will be able to assess his injuries and see if he can be helped. In many cases of severe injury euthanasia is the kindest option. Vets will treat wildlife casualties free of charge.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but there's nothing I can do personally. I just have to hope it's already dead! I'd hoped someone would come and collect it, but that doesn't seem possible.

If he is not moving then he may well have already passed away. I'm afraid the RSPCA will generally not come out for birds. But if you have anybody that can take him to a vet, that would be the best course of action.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a great deal of help but a fair enough response. I paid £5 but do not want to become a member so hope I'm not charged any more.

Sorry I'm afraid there is not much more I can do.

If you contact customer services they can make sure of that for you.