Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have 2 dwarf rabbits 8wk. Old how much dry mix should I

I have 2 dwarf rabbits 8wk. Old how much dry mix should I feed they seem very slim you can feelribs backbone etc.breeder said don't overfeed. When can they have greens and fruit.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the rabbit's name?
Customer: Cassidy and Gracie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cassidy?
Customer: Have only had them ffew days but they are happy inquisitive friendly eat well hay dry mix

Good morning! I am Laura, one of the UK vets.

If you see a message about phone calls, please ignore this, it is an automated message.

Most of what they are eating should be hay. There are LOTS of different hays of varying quality - a lot of the ones in supermarkets and pet shops are poor quality and taste rubbish. You want good quality timothy hay or meadow hay - it should smell good enough to eat. And they should eat a pile of hay the size of their body every day.

Ideally they shouldn't get any muesli type feed at all - they tend to pick the sugary bits out and leave the good stuff. If you want to feed pellets get the homogenous ones that are compressed grass. They can have a tiny amount of those in the bottom of a bowl every day - if it takes them more than 10 minutes to eat them all, there's too much and you should reduce the amount accordingly.

Finally the rest of their diet can be made up of carrot tops, leafy green veg, dandelion leaves, broccoli - but not more than 5% of their diet. They need to eat the hay to keep their teeth worn and if too much veg are fed they eat that first and then are not hungry for their hay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are they not too thin?

You should be able to feel their bones easily. I have attached a body condition score chart to guide you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not very helpful just almost word for word from a text book .didn't answer all the question had to ask twice.

I'm sorry you feel that way. In my experience about 80% of problems I see are due to feeding, so I like to make sure owners are doing it right from the start.

If this is correct, then in young bright rabbits their weight should be fine.

Thank you for using the site.

Laura

Hello, your through to Dr Chris. I see my colleague Dr Laura has already given you some good advice, but was there anything further I can help you with? I Answer to your question of when they can start eating greens - generally from about 12 weeks of age. However these should only make up a very small proportion of their diet. A good quality hay should make up 90% of their diet. I recommend the Burgess line of rabbit feeds such as hay and pellets - see https://shop.burgesspetcare.com/rabbit/litter-feeding-hay-treats?_ga=2.85525657.1009659097.1591525429-1748156264.1591525429

I hope that fully adressses your questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel my trial thank you for your help

You're welcome.

If you contact customer services they will be able to arrange that for you.

Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience: BVetMed MRCVS