Laura Henderson
Laura Henderson,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Robb Veterinary Clinic
63061945

My daughter has 3 mice an was told it's either over grooming

My daughter has 3 mice an was told it's either over grooming or mites so we separated them an they still have fur loss
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the mouse can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the mouse's name and age?
Customer: Billy and 14 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Billy?
Customer: No nothing just bald patches

Good morning, I am Laura, one of the UK vets.

If you see a message about a phone call, please ignore it, it is an automated message.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never been on here before so not sure how it works

If mites have been treated and infections ruled out, it may be that Billy has chronic ulcerative skin disease. It causes itching and scabbing and unfortunately I have never been able to cure it. I used to breed mice and this was one of the reasons I stopped, I hated seeing them so itchy.

There are things you can try - switching to paper or hemp bedding over shavings, spraying the inside of the cage base with household flea spray and allow to dry (tends to reduce mite populations in bedding and food) and possibly steroid medication (tiny bit of dog tablet on a tiny bit of peanut butter every day).

We just chat via text here :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They dont seem to itch. Is it painfully for them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I treat mites it's only just started so havent had treatments other than some drops from pets at home

The easiest this to find is Xeno 50 spot on. What mice do you have? Are the pet shop line or show type mice? The pet shop mice are about 30g, the show type mice can be 80-90g.

Xeno is dosed according to weight.

I also use a household flea spray and spray the inside of the cages. You need to let it dry before putting the mice back in. It greatly reduces the mites coming in on bedding or in food.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pet shop mice

They will be about 30g then.